2. 3 TAKEAWAYS FROMTODAY• A brief overview of the Cloud• 9 cloud trends that will help you grow and secure your business• A few tips to help you avoid a “lightning strike” in the cloud
3. Today, the Cloudis everywhere. Consumer/ Large Prosumer Enterprise Small & Medium Businesses
4. It’s not a fad. It’s real. 70% of small businesses are aware of cloud services 25% are currently using cloud services 45% plan to use cloud services within the next 12 monthsSources: Cisco and AMI
5. The Cloud is experiencing huge growth. • Cloud is outpacing on-premise 5:1 • $60 billion in revenue • $2B in VC fundingSource: Tech Targets (2011)
6. What is Cloud Computing?An analogy: electricity services… You simply plug into a vast electrical grid managed by experts to get a low cost, reliable power supply – available to you with much greater efficiency than you could generate on your own.Power is a utility service - availableto you on-demand and you pay forwhat you use.
7. What is Cloud Computing? Similarly, Cloud Computing is a utility service - giving you access to technology resources managed by experts and available on-demand. You simply access these services over the network, with minimal up-front costs and you pay only for the resources you use.
8. Layers of the Cloud • Web Apps SaaS • Application Hosting Software as a Service • Content Delivery IaaS • Servers • Storage Infrastructure as a Service • Security • Internet Network Public, Private, • Intranets / Extranets Hybrid • Virtual Private Networks
9. Benefits of the Cloud… • Predictable monthly bill • Anywhere access • Scalability and reliability • Increased peace of mind and security (if done correctly) …focusing on running your business
10. Benefits of the Cloud… • Turn capital expense into variable expense • Eliminate on-going hardware replacement costs • Reduced maintenance $ • Lowers TCO by as much as 50%* …focusing on running your businessSource: Aberdeen Group
12. #2. Datacenter Marketplaces • 90 datacenters around the world • +4,000 ecosystem partners+90% of trading platforms • Where you connect to the Cloud is important+50% of Tier 1 cloud providers • Increased security and availability • Lower latency
13. #3. Virtual Desktops3 Different Models • “Desktop” runs in the cloud; access via web1. + • $5 to 10 per user per month • Virtual Desktop initially2. driven by large-scale call center requirements3. • Now driven by growth in tablets, mobility and security
14. #4. “Four Screen” Solutions • Storing files & media in the cloud • View & Edit via a TV, PC, tablet or phone • Backup & Recovery • Sharing & Collaboration • Syncing multiple computers
15. #5. Cloud Security • Security breaches at Sony and GPI are driving action • Cloud still more secure than on-premise (but beware) • Where does your data reside? Who has access? • Identity, Access & Policies • Encryption & Privacy
16. #6. “Cloud-Ready” Broadband • Cloud is driving demand for high quality, high bandwidth connectivity • Cloud connected networks • Prioritizing bandwidth usage • Web filtering & security • Threat prevention and detection
17. #7. Sales 2.0 • Open source, sales force automation platform • Marketing automation • Campaign management • Drip marketing • Sales intelligence • Social media integration
18. #8. Machine Learning • Real-time recommendations for customers • Clustering and segmentation analysis • Outlier detection • Predictive analytics Now possible due to advancements in • Similarity search cloud computing
19. #9. Business App Stores • Over 100 open source apps • User experience designed for businesses • Broad range of horizontal & vertical business apps • Integration with cloud infrastructure and other apps
20. ELASTIC DATACENTER VIRTUALCOMPUTING MARKETPLACES DESKTOPSFOUR SCREEN CLOUD CLOUD-READY SOLUTIONS SECURITY BROADBAND SALES MACHINE BUSINESS 2.0 LEARNING APP STORE
21. Tips for avoiding a potential… • Avoid vendor lock-in and application rewrites • Use experts but understand their motivation • Implement security plan for managing employee and partner access …“Lightning Strike” in the Cloud.
22. Tips for avoiding a potential… • Investigate vendor maturity and reputation • Be careful with consumption- based pricing and longer term contracts • Calculate comprehensive return-on-investment …“Lightning Strike” in the Cloud.