http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/15-social-media-statistics-every-business-needs-know-001509118.htmlFacebook is the most visited website (of all websites)This might not shock you, but think about the repercussions for your brand NOT being on Facebook. True, four years ago, Facebook didn’t even rank in the top 10, but now it is the Big Daddy of all social media platforms and the most used and visited. 74% of consumers cited relying on social media to make purchasing decisions, and you can bet your bottom dollar that Facebook was a big part of that.3. 53% of people recommend companies and products on Twitter.If that many people are recommending your company or products, your company should have a presence to be a part of the conversation.There are 800 million active users on YouTube that spend an average of 15 minutes/day on YouTubeWe’re watching videos, why not your videos. Although the most watched video in 2012 was Gangnam Style, the viral video Harlem Shake took the video world by storm early this year, with multiple brand and businesses participating (including Google and Facebook employees). Be a part of the modern web culture.. 64% of Twitter users and 51% of Facebook users are more likely to buy the products of brands they follow onlineBuilding your online following is essential to extending the e-commerce efforts of your brand online. Users are much more likely to respond and buy brands that make them feel special. The Google +1 button is used 5 billion times per day.Google+ is the third most active social media platform, though it is often ignored by brands and dismissed by not having a “cool” factor like Facebook. Don’t miss out, this platform is easy to use and can drive a substantial amount of traffic with the power of Google search.50% of shoppers have made a purchase based on a recommendation through a social media networkI’ve done it and I know all the tricks, but this is a huge number for brands to take note of. Your participation, communication and presence affect SALES. Make it count.So if after all of this, your brand still isn’t using social media, it’s time to start considering how not using social media can be hurting your brand in the long run.Find any of these stats especially interesting? Tweet me at @ErinSRichards and share your thoughts!
Socially LiT - Fundamentals of Social Media Strategy
What is Social Media?
Social Media is a collection of online platforms where
people share information and ideas in virtual communities
B2C Social Media Stats
• Social Media is now the #1 activity on the web.
• 77% of B2C companies acquired customers from Facebook.
• 71% of Social Media users are more likely to purchase from brands they follow online.
• 50% of shoppers have made a purchase based on a recommendation through a Social Media
• More than 80% of small to mid-sized businesses plan to increase their Social Media presence in
B2B Social Media Stats
• 74% of B2B marketing companies use Twitter to distribute content (CMI).
• 58% of marketers who used Social Media for 3+ years reported improved sales (Social Media Examiner).
• B2B marketers who use Twitter generate twice as many leads as those that do not (Inside View).
• 65% of B2B companies acquired a customer through LinkedIn (Marketing Charts).
• 55% of B2B marketers search for information on Social Media (MediaBistro).
• Marketers spend an average of 4-6 hours a week on Social Media (Social Media Examiner).
• 85%,70% and 65% of B2B marketers reported an increase in business exposure, website traffic, and
marketplace insight respectively! (Social Media Examiner).
• 82% of employees have more trust in a company when the leadership team communicates via Social
Largest social networking site with over 1 billion
users, 42 Million Facebook Pages (15 Million
Second largest social networking site in the world
with over 500 Million registered users.
Microblogging service where users send/read short
messages (tweets),500 Million users.
Video-sharing website, which users can upload,
view and share videos, 800 Million unique
Social Media Goals
Increase awareness of your brand on
Engage with potential consumers on
Social Media so that they spread your
Build long lasting relationships with
key Social Media influencers so that
they proliferate your brand’s message
on Social Media.
Provide relevant news and expert
information consistently to your Social
Media audience to keep them
• Streamline Social Media updates,
audiences, and design to attract
• Identify and engage target
audiences to increase brand
awareness on Social Media.
• Share expert information to
• Monitor response (mentions,
retweets, likes, shares, comments,
views) to leverage successful
content, and leverage influencers.
• Increase visibility on search engines
with Social Media Optimization
• New channel for consumer acquisition
• New channel for communication
• New channel to access brand perception
• New channel for word-of-mouth advertising
Benefits of using Social Media