Advanced iPads for Adult EducationPresentation Transcript
Pinterest App share
How to Find Apps as You Need Them
Buying iPads for Your Program
To Access this PowerPoint
Navigating the iPad
• iOS 7 on iPad - Tips, Tricks, and Hands On
• 40 Fantastic tips and ticks ios7 from iPad App
• Tips and Tricks iOS 7 from About.com
• Customize the lock screen, close apps quickly,
swipe to access e-mail options, and make text
easier to read.
Not all features are available
• Video sharing is not available on iPad 2 and iPod touch (5th
• AirDrop is available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th
generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and
requires an iCloud account.
• Siri is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad with Retina display,
iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires
• iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod
touch (3rd generation or later), iPad, or iPad mini; a Mac
computer with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later; or a PC with
Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Outlook 2007 or later or an
up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts,
and calendars). Some features require iOS 7 and OS X
Mavericks. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some
features are not available in all countries. Access to some
services is limited to 10 devices.
Qrafter QR Code Reader
• Hold finger down
on any app until
they all begin to
• Then hold finger
down on app you
want to move, and
• Create folders by
dragging one app
on top of another
Accessing the Multi-Tasking Bar
• Double tap the home
• Use four fingers to drag
upwards on the screen
*NEW* Multi-Tasking Bar
*NEW* Control Panel (Pull Up)
*NEW* Notification Center (Pull Down)
Copying and Pasting
Go to any screen that has text on it. This can be an email text,
Web page or a document inside an App. As long as the text isn't
part of an image, you can copy and paste it.
Touch and hold your finger on the iPad screen on the text you
wish you to select. A magnifying glass appears. Position the glass
over the text you want to copy.
Remove your finger from the screen and tap "Select," which
highlights a word of text in the selection.
Drag the selection handles to expand the highlighted area over
the text you wish copied on your iPad. Once selected, tap "Copy.“
Navigate to a text-entry box. Press and hold a finger on the text
field until the "Paste" button appears. Tap this button to paste the
copied text into the field
Taking a Screenshot
• Hold down the iPad home
button and push
the Sleep/Wake button at
the same time.
• You will see a flash on your
screen signaling the iPad's
screen was captured.
• How to close open Apps on your iPad, iPhone or
• How to change the font in Notes for the iPad,
iPhone and iPod Touch
• How to accurately relocate the cursor in Notes
for your iPhone or iPod Touch
• How to create Folders on your iPad, iPhone or
• How to take screenshots of your iPhone or iPod
AppleTV and AirPlay
• Create your own Evernote account or sign into
your existing one
• To join my note, scan this QR Code
• or go to this link http://bit.ly/PnR5kh
• Save note to Evernote
• What Notes do you see?
• Open “iPad How to”
• Click on one of the links
• Access all your photos, docs and videos from any
• 2 GB of space when you sign up -- free!
• Automatically save photos and videos to Dropbox
and earn up to 3 GB additional free space.
• Share a link to even your biggest files— no more
• Add files to your "Favorites" for fast, offline
Use Dropbox to save and share photos and videos
in a snap or even take your work on the go. If
something happens to your iPhone or iPad, your
stuff is always safe in Dropbox!
• Create your own Dropbox account, or login to
your existing account
• You should have received and email with a link
to our shared Dropbox folder.
• Open the folder, what does it contain?
When to use Evernote or Dropbox
Evernote or Dropbox?
• Submitting written homework
• Developing a portfolio of writing samples
• Taking notes in class or meetings
• Making to do lists
• Gathering content for a research paper
• Sharing video clips
• Sharing homework assignments and
View PDF documents
• Navigate Adobe Reader and Read documents using iOS VoiceOver for
• Quickly open PDF documents from email, the web, or any app that supports
• Search text to find specific information
• Get definitions with iOS Dictionary support
Store and access documents in the cloud with Acrobat.com
Navigate through PDF content
• Use bookmarks to jump directly to a section in your PDF document
• Tap on links in a PDF to open linked web pages
• Go to any page by tapping the page number to enter a new page
• Quickly navigate through large documents using thumbnails
Annotate and comment on PDF documents
Fill out forms
Organize your documents
Electronically sign documents
Print and share documents
English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch,
French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian,
Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish
Kindle and Nook
• Free or low cost books (as well as
regular cost books)
• Highlight passages and share
material with others
• Have all your books available to
you all the time
• Picture books as well as novels
How to Get Free E-Books
Search for "0.00." This is the oldest trick in the book (pun intended). Simply
go to the Barnes and Noble bookstore or the Kindle bookstore and search
for "0.00." Your results will yield dozens of free books available for direct
download to your device.
Swap books with strangers. Some books are equipped with a "lending"
feature. Amazon and B&N probably intended that lending would be used
among friends, but clever Web sites
likeBookLending.com and eBookFling.com let users list their e-books and
swap inventory with anyone else.
Check out e-books from the library. Ancient as they may seem, libraries are
on trend and offer e-books using a service called Overdrive. Here's how to
use the service (although the tutorial is intended for Nook owners, the same
process applies to Kindle).
Find free books online. Many books, especially classics like "Frankenstein,"
are available under public domain licensing and have been converted into
e-books for your reading pleasure. Other license-free titles available include
those published under a Creative Commons license.
Free Books for E-Readers
There are over 1,000,000 titles available for free, and
you can find them in these places:
• Many Books
• Open Library
• Project Gutenberg
• Google Books
Once you've found a book from any of the above
sources, download them in MOBI format for Kindle
or EPUB for Nook, and manually transfer them from
your desktop to your device (connected via USB).
Putting it All Together
1. Login to Dropbox or create a Dropbox account
2. Think of a lesson you are doing that could
enhanced by using an iPad
3. Use the resources discussed earlier to identify
an app (or 2) that could work for this purpose
4. Share your apps with this Dropbox folder
Differences Between Models
What the iPad Comes with
Adding Apps to iPads
• If you use Mac Computers
▫ Apple Configurator makes it easy for anyone to
mass configure and deploy iPhone, iPad, and
iPod touch in a school, business, or institution.
• If you use PC computers
▫ limited to 10 total devices for one Apple ID (iTunes
Cases and Keyboards
• Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio
• Speck HandyShell