1. Implementation of the Small Islanddeveloping States Mauritius Strategy in theESA-IO Region (ISLANDS)INDIAN OCEAN COMMISSIONProject Financed by the European Union (EDF10)Inter Regional Partnerships for Rio+20Building resilience in Small Island economiesCTA event – Mauritius 23-24 April 2012
2. ISLANDS ProgrammeImplementation of the SIDS Mauritius Strategy in the ESA-IO Region Four Questions  The value of speaking “One SIDS voice” State and Non-State  Inter-regional partnerships amongst SIDS  “Blue Economy” in the “Green Economy” at Rio+20…for SIDS  One can we get ACP/CTA to support “One SIDS voice” by the next SIDS International Meeting in 2014
3. ISLANDS ProgrammeImplementation of the SIDS Mauritius Strategy in the ESA-IO Region Programme Expected Results Result 1 A Monitoring and Evaluation system for the implementation of the MS is developed at national, regional and international level.
4. ISLANDS ProgrammeImplementation of the SIDS Mauritius Strategy in the ESA-IO Region Programme Expected Results (ctnd) Result 2 Four flagship projects contributing to the mitigation of SIDS vulnerabilities are supported: A regional Coral Reefs facility (CRF) is operational; Capacities for Risk Financing Mechanisms against natural and climatic disasters adapted to the Region are assessed and the setting-up of identified mechanisms is supported; Thedevelopment of National Sustainable Development Strategies is supported; and The WIO Coastal Challenge (WIO-CC) is operational.
5. ISLANDS ProgrammeImplementation of the SIDS Mauritius Strategy in the ESA-IO Region Programme Expected Results (ctnd) Result 3 ESA-IO SIDS are supported in the development and consolidation of their capacities to leverage investments and other commitments for the support of national and regional programmes and interventions in four thematic areas, e.g. Coral Reef Rehabilitation, Risk Financing Instruments, National Sustainable Development (SD) Strategies, and a Regional Coastal Challenge Initiative. Result 4 International partnerships and increased international investments and other programme support for the implementation of the Mauritius Strategy in the ESA-IO SIDS are strengthened.
6. ISLANDS ProgrammeImplementation of the SIDS Mauritius Strategy in the ESA-IO Region Implementation Strategy  Filing gaps of the MS by:  Providing a coherent process at national and regional levels towards sustainable development;  Clearly identifying key actions required, and the amount of resources required to achieve the expected results; and  Formulating a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) mechanism for countries to gauge their performances towards the implementation of MS.  Capacity Building :  The core approach for implementation in this Programme is to promote the ownership of the Programme by the beneficiary countries. The main goal of the ISLANDS programme is to launch the process of Sustainable Development in particular areas with the beneficiary countries and to support the development of partnerships that will continue on the long-term.  Other pillars of the programme are: Regional cooperation and integration, SIDS-SIDS knowledge exchanges, and a methodology to deal with the large asymmetries between the developmental stages of the beneficiary countries.
7. ISLANDS ProgrammeImplementation of the SIDS Mauritius Strategy in the ESA-IO Region Implementation Strategy (ctnd)  Put the beneficiary countries in the driving seat by giving them the presidency for the running of regional technical committees:  Madagascar – The development of a disaster insurance scheme;  La Réunion – The setup of a Regional Coral Reef facility;  Comoros – The promotion of sustainable development high level policies;  Seychelles – The setup of a Western Indian Ocean Challenge initiative on Climate Change.
8. ISLANDS ProgrammeImplementation of the SIDS Mauritius Strategy in the ESA-IO Region ISLANDS Contacts  Mr. Christophe Legrand, ISLANDS Team Leader firstname.lastname@example.org  Mr. Christophe Raoelina, ISLANDS Economist email@example.com  For information on the project as well as on its activities, send your queries to Mrs Virginie Torrens: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Phone: +230 250 2904; Fax: +230 427 2808.