2. Nathan Gerber
Director, Web Dev. Services,
Utah Valley University 14yrs.
Web IA, CMS Consulting
Consultant, Web Strategy
and Interactive Marketing
30,000 public pages
420+ web folks across
3. Utilize energy around new technologies
Leverage tech. to help the community
Grow community by communicating
Disclaimer: No website was made responsive
during the making of this presentation
Students checking e-mail on a smartphone are not going to
read the same way they will on a full-size PC or laptop
screen. Your e-mail messages need to adapt to this reality.
• Economize your e-mail copy as much as possible so
mobile users won’t have to scroll through long lines of
• Create designs that, while attractive, maximize the screen
space of smaller displays.
• Move calls to action up so they display before the fold or
on the first scroll of a mobile display, and repeat the
request at the end.
• Test all of your messages on a variety of mobile platforms
19. HTML basics
20. What are your channels?
◦ Meetings, Website, Blog, CMS messaging
What goes out to each channel?
Who has access to each channel?
◦ To consume? To send?
Can any communications be repurposed
21. How often does information go out through
◦ Emails, once per month
◦ Blog posts, once every 2 weeks
◦ CMS messaging, as system needs
How can community communicate with us?
◦ How will we let them know we heard them?
◦ How do we moderate?
This is a living plan, ever changing
22. Your Web Community can be a vast resource
Your existing tools must support efforts
Communications plan is a must!
RWD has energy, capture it
Keep it simple, not boring
Working together is key!