Responsive Community - eduWeb 2013Presentation Transcript
Utah Valley University
Director, Web Dev. Services,
Utah Valley University 14yrs.
Web IA, CMS Consulting
Consultant, Web Strategy
and Interactive Marketing
30,000 public pages
400+ web folks across
Leveraging the energy around RWD
Focusing technology on the people
Creating communications plan
Disclaimer: No website was made responsive
during the making of this presentation
Students checking e-mail on a smartphone are not going to
read the same way they will on a full-size PC or laptop
screen. Your e-mail messages need to adapt to this reality.
• Economize your e-mail copy as much as possible so
mobile users won’t have to scroll through long lines of
• Create designs that, while attractive, maximize the screen
space of smaller displays.
• Move calls to action up so they display before the fold or
on the first scroll of a mobile display, and repeat the
request at the end.
• Test all of your messages on a variety of mobile platforms
“When the student is
ready, the teacher
-- Buddist Proverb --
What are your channels?
◦ Meetings, Website, Blog, CMS messaging
What goes out to each channel?
How often does information go out through
◦ Emails, once per month
◦ Blog posts, once every 2 weeks
◦ CMS messaging, as system needs
Who has access to each channel?
◦ To consume? To send?
Can any communications be repurposed?
Your Web Community can be a vast resource
Working together is key!
Your existing tools must support your efforts
Communications plan is a must!
RWD has energy, capture it
Keep it simple, not boring