The article focuses on the questions about HIPAA and HL-7 you might have come across but couldn't find the relevant answers. This article discusses about the framework of HIPAA and HL-7 and the current updates.
HIPAA and HL-7 rules in healthcare information! Need for a reality check
HIPAA and HL-7 rules in
healthcare information! Need
for a reality check
Does your practice adhere to HIPAA
• What is the most important standard?
The most important requirement by HIPAA is the disclosure of
patient information by the doctor which should be limited. The
information disclosed should only complete the minimum
requirement of the disclosure.
• What if a covered entity doesn’t fax a PHI to a physician
because it says fax is not allowed under privacy rules?
The HIPPA rules do not stop a covered entity from faxing PHI
to the doctor, however if the covered entity doesn’t agree to
fax, then the doctor can guide them to check with Department
of Human Health and Services
• Is it right to use e-mail if a physician wants to discuss patients
diagnosis with other physicians?
Yes, a doctor can use any method of communication, as long
as the doctor uses appropriate secure methods to protect the
• On what basis should a physician decide whether a particular
communication is covered under HIPAA?
Disclosure of PHI by a doctor to another provider/hospital is
absolutely permitted in treatment matters. It is only limited to
mental health professional’s personal psychotherapy notes
which cannot be disclosed without patient’s authorization.
• Is it legal for a physician to send PHI for overseas
A physician should sign a business associate agreement with
its transcription service provider in order to protect the PHI.
• Is it legal for a hospital or a doctor to provide information to
the police if they have to assist them in investigation?
Yes a doctor can disclose the patient information to a police
officer for investigation purpose. However the doctor or the
hospital is required to check the officer’s identity before
disclosing any information.
HL-7 design framework…
• HL-7 international designs specifications that are used in
healthcare information exchange.
• Information models, data types, vocabularies, messaging,
clinical documents, context management standards,
implementation technology, profile and conformance are
some of the specifications used by HL-7 framework.
• The design of HL-7 V2 by clinical information specialists was
a success but in order to improve the methodology and
enhance messaging, HL-7 was designed by medical
Benefits of HL-7 V3
• Less Framework for negotiation.
• Better consistency due to model based standard.
• The application roles are well defined.
• Reduced message optionality.
• Less expensive to build and easy to maintain the interface on
a mid-to-long term basis.