ICT Tools for Teaching VocabularyPresentation Transcript
ICT Tools for
By the end of this session you will be able to:
list ICT tools for vocabulary development;
evaluate the usefulness of various web-based
activities for vocabulary development;
create your own web-based activities for teaching
Free Online Flashcards
Websites for creating and sharing flashcards:
1. http://quizlet.com/ (study groups, chats, message
boards, space race game, scatter game)
2. http://www.flashcardexchange.com (the world's
largest flashcard library)
3. http://www.muchobeets.com/ (picture flashcards)
4. http://www.studystack.com/ (hangman, crossword
puzzles, matching and word games)
1. Register at http://quizlet.com/.
2. Watch the video tour.
3. Study this sample flashcard set.
4. Create your own set (at least 5 words).
5. Exchange sets with your neighbours.
6. What do you like and not like?
A concordancer is a piece of software that searches a corpus
(a collection of texts in electronic form) for a selected word or
phrase and presents every instance of that word or phrase in
the centre of the computer screen, with the words that come
before and after it to the left and right.
A node word is a selected word, appearing in the centre of the
A concordance is the lines of text illustrating the search word,
Ideas for Using Concordancers
A concordancer can be used to:
compare language use - standard English/scientific English,
analyze the language in books, readers, and course books;
analyze usage - when is it appropriate to use obtain rather than get ?
examine word order;
explore word families;
understand differences in meanings and patterns;
find genuine examples...
For more ideas, go to http://www.teachingenglish.org.
Collins Cobuild Corpus Concordance Sampler
With Collins Concordance Sampler you can:
access natural, authentic examples of vocabulary and grammar;
work interactively with concordances in the classroom;
quickly prepare handouts, worksheets and self-study materials
based on real data;
carry out in-depth linguistic analyses for your research thesis or
check the corpus for idioms, compounds, grammar problems,
synonyms, spelling, British and American variants, and frequency
A Ten-step Introduction to Concordancing through the Collins Cobuild Corpus
1. Go to http://www.collins.co.
2. Explore the concordancer by completing the tasks
in the Worksheet.
3. Discuss your ideas for using concordancers with
4. What do you like and not like?
Other tools for Vocabulary Development
Find more teaching ideas at http://nikpeachey.blogspot.