7060QCA Digital Design ObjectMaster of Digital DesignQueensland College of ArtGriffith UniversityLecturer: Ying Nastiti Mayawulan S2822152
E-Reader inAustralia: Product ComparisonAmazon Kindle Touch | Sony Reader Touch (PRS-T1) | Kobo eReader Touch |Apple New iPad
E-book, or electronic book, is becoming more and more common inthe daily modern life. People are buying e-reader to storehundreds, or may be thousands, of books. Although majority of thepeople are still prefer to buy paper book, e-book continues to growbecause it is portable and cheaper. With the development of e-book, e-reader is sought as a device for reading e-books. There arevarious types of e-reader in the market that comes from variousmanufacturers, but this paper will look into four devices that areconsidered new in Australian market: Amazon Kindle Touch, SonyReader Touch PRS-T1, Kobo e-Reader Touch, and Apple New iPad.They all come from respectable manufacturers and can be found inAustralian retails. It may not seem fair to compare iPad with theother e-readers, but it turns out that iPad has its own disadvantages.In the end, it goes to what is really needed, whether it is a pure e-reader or a multifunction device.
• An e-reader (electronic reader) is a device for reading content, such as e-books, newspapers and documents (Whatis.com, 2008)• An e-book is a book composed in or converted to digital format for display on a computer screen or handheld device (Merriam-Webster, Incorporated, 2012).
• Portability; paper books can be heavy, e- reader is much lighter.• One e-reader can store hundreds or even thousands of books, depending on the memory capacity.• Easy access to buy new books compared to paper books.• The font in e-reader can be changed, both font type and the size. It is beneficial for seniors or visually impaired person.
• Most e-readers are using e-ink (electronic ink) technology. E-ink technology uses microcapsules that contain both positively charged white particles and negatively charged black particles suspended in liquid placed within a film-like layer. • Applying a negative electrical field will make the white particles to come to the surface, while applying a positive electrical field causes the black ones to come. By applying different fields at various parts of a screen, e-ink can produce a text display. • E-ink displays are popular because it gives a resemblance to printed paper. Compared to LCD screen that often causes strain in the eyes, e-ink is more acceptable since it does not glare.Hidalgo, J. (2012). What is E Ink? Retrieved March 29, 2012, from About.com website:http://portables.about.com/od/newsandviews/f/E-Ink-FAQ.htm
• Four products: Amazon Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad Kindle Touch PRS-T1
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1 172 mm tall 173 mm tall 165 mm tall 241 mm tall 120 mm wide 110 mm wide 114 mm wide 185 mm wide10.1 mm thickness 8.9 mm thickness 10 mm thickness 9.4 mm thickness 213g 168g 185g 662g
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1 4 GB internal 1GB 2GB internal 16GB memory(approximately 3 GB memory, expandable memory, available for user up to 32GB with SD expandable up to content) card external 32GB microSD card external
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1 Wi-fi/3G Wi-fi Wi-fi Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Next Kindle store Kobo store G, 3G, HSDPA, HSUPA Various apps to major e- book retailers
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1 2 months 3 weeks 3.5 weeks to 10 hours one month
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1 Available Available Not available Available
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1Bookmarking, anno Highlights, bookma PDF Apps for education,tations, highlighting rks and notes reflow, annotatio track assignment, and passage ns & marking/ highlights, notes, sharing highlighting bookmarks
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1Eight different font sizes Infrared touch screen Free cloud storage for Multiple of colours Choice dictionaries Tablet functionality andAmazon content all three font styles 12 dictionaries Experimental Fast Screen reader for Dictionary, Wikipedia X-ray functionality Eight different font sketchbook and Automatic bookmark visually-impaired and Google search sizes highlighting when battery is low people
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1No expandable NoComplicated the Touchscreen is not place to put Cannot delete books No multiple Apps and movies Ports for The memory directly from the device stylus when not in interface used to its full bookmarks heaviest,USB and optimised for the HDMI, compare Starting price Cannot perform software Nocapability use No built-in Google case included screen require d to the other SD might take includes ads updates over Wi-Fi Some software bugs Books store up adapters more space three
Amazon Kindle Touch Sony Reader Touch Kobo eReader Touch Apple New iPad PRS-T1 AU$185 AU$179 AU$179 AU$539Dick Smith, Big W JB Hi-fi JB Hi-fi Harvey Norman, Apple store
• E-reader becomes more popular in relation to the growing preference of e-book.• Different machine has its own advantages and disadvantage. Consider accessibility, supported file type, battery life, good retail environment, and functions included in the e-reader before buying one.• A good e-reader does not have to be expensive. Whether or not we have to buy a tablet depends on what we need.
• How e-ink works, the technology behind it• The use of e-book and e-reader in education• The effect of e-book in higher education
• Q: Do students need e-reader? A : Might be beneficial for them.They do not have to bring plenty of textbooks to school and they can do bookmarking and annotations on their e-books just like they would do in paper books.• Q: Which one is better for reading, a pure e- reader or a tablet PC? A: For reading purpose, E-ink is better on the eyes. Although, a tablet will be much better if we read colourful book with a lot of images in it.
• Q: Can I bring the e-reader for travelling ? A : Sure. It is easier than bringing paper books because you can bring plenty of e-books with you without having a bulky and heavy bag. With Wi-fi, you can always find a spot to connect to the online store and buy new books. E-readers have long battery life as well, except for iPad.• Q: Why is iPad’s battery considerably shorter than the other devices? A: Bear in mind that iPad is a multifunctioned tablet PC, not just a pure e-reader. With various softwares and applications in it, no wonder that it would take much power for the device to run.
(2011, September 28). Amazon Kindle Touch [Image].iClarified. Retrieved on March, 29 2012 from iClarified website: http://www.iclarified.com/images/news/17098/59256/59256.jpg (2011). Sony PRS-T1 [Image]. Ala Test. Retrieved on March, 29 2012 from Ala Test website: http://ii.alatest.com/product/full/f/8/Sony-PRS-T1-0.jpg(2011). Kobo E-Reader Touch [Image].McMaster University. Retrieved on March, 29 2012 from McMaster University website: http://www.workingatmcmaster.ca/med/photo/zoom/kobo-ereader-touch-1-.jpg(2012). Apple new iPad [Image]. The iPhone 5 News Blog. Retrieved on March, 29 2012 from The iPhone 5 News Blog website: http://iphone5newsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/iPad_PFV_PFVLF_Springboard_PRINT1.jpgAlexander, B. (2011, October 14). Fiber Texture 5 [Image]. Stock.XCHNG. Retrieved on March, 29 2012 from Stock.XCHNG website: http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1367738Bell, D. (2012, March 19). Apple iPad (2012). Retrieved March 28, 2012, from CNet Australia: http://www.cnet.com.au/apple-ipad-2012-339333300.htmBell, D. (2011, March 15). Who should buy the new iPad? Retrieved March 28, 2012, from CNet Australia: http://www.cnet.com.au/who-should-buy-the-new-ipad-339333818.htmHarvey Norman. (2011). eBook Readers Buying Guide. Retrieved March 29, 2012, from Harvey Norman: ttp://www.harveynorman.com.au/computers/tablets-readers/buying-guides/ebook-readers-buying-guide.htmlHeater, B. (2011, November 14). Amazon Kindle Touch review. Retrieved March 28, 2012, from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/kindle-touch-review/Hidalgo, J. (2012). What is E Ink? Retrieved March 29, 2012, from About.com: http://portables.about.com/od/newsandviews/f/E-Ink-FAQ.htm
Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. (2012). e-Book. Retrieved March 29, 2012, from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/e-bookStarr, M. (2012, March 28). Amazon Kindle Touch. Retrieved March 29, 2012, from CNet Australia: http://www.cnet.com.au/amazon-kindle-touch_specs-339323424.htmStarr, M. (2011, December 2). Best e-readers in Australia. Retrieved March 29, 2012, from CNet Australia: http://www.cnet.com.au/best-e-readers-in-australia-339304247.htm#image0Starr, M. (2011, November 7). Kobo eReader Touch. Retrieved March 29, 2012, from CNet Australia: http://www.cnet.com.au/kobo-ereader-touch-339325572.htmStarr, M. (2011, November 22). Sony Reader WiFi Touch (PRS-T1). Retrieved March 29, 2012, from CNet Australia: http://www.cnet.com.au/sony-reader-wifi-touch-prs-t1-339326650.htmStarr, M. (2011, June 6). What to look for in an e-reader. Retrieved March 29, 2012, from CNet Australia: http://www.cnet.com.au/what-to-look-for-in-an-e-reader-339316831.htmTony. (2011, January 25). Back to basics – What is an ereader exactly, and why might you want one? Retrieved March 29, 2012, from eBookAnoid: http://www.ebookanoid.com/2011/01/25/back-to-basics-what-is-an-ereader-exactly- and-why-might-you-want-one/Whatis.com. (2008). E-reader (electronic reader). Retrieved March 29, 2012, from Whatis.com: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/e-reader.html