1. Men Can Cook www.mencancook.hk 28 th June 2007 Fusion … is the trend!
2. Battered Prawn 'Scampi' with Tartare Sauce Instructions For the batter, begin by seasoning the flour. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and oil. Pour in half the beer and whisk it in. Gradually whisk in the rest to make a thick batter that will coat the prawns. Leave to rest for at least half an hour. To make the tartare sauce, just mix all the ingredients together, then taste and adjust seasoning . Heat the oil to 180°C, or until a cube of bread dropped into it sizzles fairly vigorously. As it heats, keep the extra plain flour in a shallow plate near the hob and place the bowl of batter beside it. Toss a third of the prawns in flour, then drop them into the batter. Scoop out and fry in the hot oil for 3–4 minutes, until the batter is golden brown and puffed. Drain briefly on kitchen paper then serve with the tartare sauce. Serves 4 Ingredients 32 raw, shell-off tiger or king prawns, tails removed 50g plain flour Sunflower or vegetable oil for deep frying Batter 225g plain flour, sifted 1 egg 1 tbsp sunflower oil 275ml lager or brown ale Tartar Sauce 200g mayonnaise 1 small shallot , very finely chopped ½ tbsp chopped chives 1 tbsp chopped parsley 1 tsp chopped tarragon 1½ tbsp capers , rinsed and roughly chopped 1 tbsp pickled cornichons , chopped
3. Baked Figs Instructions Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6 and smear the butter over the base of a baking dish. Snip off the tough stalks of the figs and cut each fig in half. Place in the baking dish, cut side up, and sprinkle with half the caster sugar. Mix the lemon juice with the orange flower water (if using) and sprinkle over the figs. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Baste liberally with the juices before sprinkling with the remaining sugar and baking for a further 5 minutes. Serve hot or warm with crème fraîche or Mascarpone . Serves 4 Ingredients 10g butter , softened 12 ripe figs 75g caster sugar Juice of ½ lemon 1 tsp orange flower water (optional)
4. Aromatic Asian Pesto with Chicken and Noodles Instructions Place all the ingredients for the pesto except for the oils in a food processor and blend to a paste. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the groundnut and sesame seed oils, then scrape into a bowl, season to taste and stir . Brush the chicken with olive oil. Season. Heat a griddle or heavy-based pan, then cook the chicken over a moderate heat for 6-7 minutes each side, or until thoroughly cooked with no pink meat. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to pack instructions. Drain thoroughly then toss with 4 tablespoons of the pesto. Divide between 4 plates. Slice the chicken and place on top of the noodles. Spoon over a little extra pesto. Serve immediately. Serves 4 Ingredients 500g pack Waitrose Fresh British Chicken 4 Breast Fillets Olive oil , for brushing 275g pack Egg Noodles For the pesto 1 pot lemon basil 2 x 20g packs fresh coriander 50g Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts 2 red chilies , deseeded and roughly chopped 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger , peeled and chopped 1 lemon grass stalk, chopped Grated zest and juice of 1 lime 6 tbsp groundnut oil 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
5. Serves 6 Ingredients 80g roasted pistachio nuts (shelled weight) from the fruit and vegetable section 5 tbsp clear honey 1 tsp cinnamon Juice and zest of 1 orange 375g pack Saxby's Fresh Ready Rolled Puff Pastry 10 fresh apricots, halved and stoned 25g butter , melted Instructions Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place the pistachios ( reserving a few to sprinkle on top of the tart), 4 tablespoons of the honey, the cinnamon, orange juice and zest in a blender or food processor . Blitz until the nuts are roughly chopped . Unroll the pastry and lay it out on a baking tray . Trim around the edges to straighten if necessary. Spread the pistachio mixture over the pastry, leaving a 2cm border around the edge. Place the apricot halves cut-side up over the pistachio mixture and drizzle with the remaining honey and melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is risen and golden, and the apricots have just softened . Cut into slices and sprinkle with the reserved, roughly chopped pistachios. Serve with Greek yogurt . Apricot Tart with Honey and Pistachios