2. Geomar seems to be developmentally delay in all areas of development. This can affect his emotional development, Geomar may develop low self- esteem. www.specialeducationteacher.me: Joubert Syndrome. (n.d.).www.specialeducationteacher.me. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from
3. Yesterday, his mom was told that Geomar has Joubert Syndrome. She asked you, What do I do now?” and begins to weep. What I can do for Geomar mother is advise her to talk to her doctor Mother Support Groups - Parent Child Center NYC. (n.d.). Parent Child Center NYC. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from and support her with http://www.theparentchildcenter.org/mother-support- groups agencies
4. Leader), D. T. (n.d.). I run so someday she may run with me... | causes.com.Causes.com: Build Awareness, Fundraise, and Advocate for Change | causes.com. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.causes.com/actions/1679467-i-run-so- someday-she-may-run-with-me
5. Joubert syndrome is a disorder that affects many parts of the body. The signs and symptoms of this condition vary among affectedWhat is Joubert individuals, even among members of the sameSyndrome family. The hallmark feature of Joubert syndrome is a brain abnormality called the molar tooth sign, which can be seen on brain imaging studies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This sign results from the abnormal development of regions near the back of the brain called the cerebellar vermis and the brainstem. The molar tooth sign got its name because the characteristic brain abnormalities resemble the cross-section of a molar tooth when seen on an MRI. Most infants with Joubert syndrome have weak muscle tone (hypotonia) in infancy, which evolves into difficulty coordinating movements (ataxia) in early childhood. Other characteristic features of the condition include episodes of unusually fast or slow breathing in infancy and abnormal eye movements. Most affected individuals have delayed development and intellectual disability, which range from mild to severe. Distinctive facial features are also characteristic of Joubert syndrome; these include a broad forehead, arched eyebrows, droopy eyelids (ptosis), widely spaced eyes, low-set ears, and a triangle-shaped mouth. Joubert syndrome - Genetics Home Reference. (n.d.). Genetics Home Reference - Your guide to understanding genetic conditions. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/joubert-syndrome Joubert Syndrome - UW Hindbrain Malformation Research Program. (n.d.).UW Departments Web Server. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://depts.washington.edu/joubert/jouber
6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiz6GOYiwMkI had found a touchingYouTube clip on a motherwho is supportive of her childwho as joubert syndromeBe Inspired by a girl with Jouberts Syndrome -YouTube. (n.d.). YouTube. Retrieved April3, 2013, fromhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiz6GOYiwMk
7. Geomar would need some changes to his environment know that we know he as joubert syndrome. that way he would be in an inclusive environment that would let him reach his full potential
8. Bracilla“This device is a tactilewriting system used bychildren who are blindor visually impaired. Itis a series of raised dotson that can be read withfeel of theirfingers.”(Inclusion ofchildren with specialneeds –readingpackage)this should begood for Geomar in hisenvironment becausewith children joubertsyndrome may havevision impairment.
9. Standing Frame“It is an assistivetechnology that can be usedby a child who relies on awheelchair for mobility. Itprovides support forchildren in the standingposition allowing childrento interact at eye level withothers. (Inclusion ofchildren with special needs–reading package) This willbe good for Goemarbecause children withjoubert syndrome to loosemuscles tone . This way hemay feel included whenengaging with otherchildren in activities.”
10. “In children Joubert they may loose their vision so it appears that labelling and depending is a good change to the environment” “You may have to have enhance picture is needed” “You can have routines in visuals that way Geomar knows what to expect through out the day.” (Inclusion of children with special needs –reading package)Taking on Third: Classroom Updates. (n.d.). Taking on Third. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://takingonthird.blogspot.ca/2011/08/classroom-updates.html
11. “ you should be consistent with daily routines” “Create a schedule that the children can understand” “ let them know that your there to support them at anytime” “this would be good for Geomar because children learn best through repartition” ">.
12. “you should have before and then chart with your daily routines that way Geomar know what to expect through out his day” (Inclusion of children with special needs –reading package) Do You Use Visual Schedules? | Applied Behavioral Strategies. (n.d.). Applied Behavioral Strategies | "You have proven that the impossible can be done…and if you can get a boy that had so many challenges like eating food – to eat…you sold me. Thank you so much!" ~ A. Stevens, parent of an ABS client. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://appliedbehavioralstrategies.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/do- you-use-visual-schedules/
13. Zoom text“I think this would beappropriate for Geomarbe cause children withjoubert syndrome maydevelop visionimpairment . Withzoom text this deviceenlarges and enhanceseverything on thecomputerscreen, makingapplications lager, easierto see and use”.(Inclusion of childrenwith special needs –reading package)
14. I would make sure the environment is wheel chair assailable All the furniture is child size The Americans with Disabilities Act and Family Child Care - Tom Copelands Taking Care of Business. (n.d.). Tom Copelands Taking Care of Business. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2012/08/the-americans-with- disabilities-act-and-family-child-care.html
15. Descriptions “According to reading package use short simples phrases to descrribe your action and the child’s actions” “This seems t be appropriate for geomar because he would learn words to his action” “Which can teach language” (Inclusion of children with special needs –reading package)
16. Enhance on Geomarenvironment•“You would makeobject bigger just incase Geomar seemsto have difficultypicking up smallobject this maymake is easier.”Connect ability –prompting andfading notes wks 7
17. Simplifyingactivities•“you would reducethe number of stepswithin activity forGeomar byremoving pieces orcovering numbers.”(Inclusion ofchildren withspecial needs –reading package)•Connect ability – notes wks 2
18. Prompting and Fading• “as a teacher I woulduse a lot of promptingand fading withGeomar. “• “hand over handassistance”•“Modeling anddemonstration “• “Gestural”•“Visual”•“Positional prompts”•Connectability –promptingand fading notes wks 7
19. Making Choices•“This would provideGeomar opportunitiesfor learning names ofobjects and the value ofexpressing his ownopinion”.
20. ModelingModeling will beappropriate for Geomarwe can get other childrento help each otherbecause childe appear tolearn best when they seeanother child doingpositive activities thiswill appear to teacherGeomar:• “Socializing skills”•“ Independence”• “High self esteem”Strategies for inclusion-video notes wks7
21. CollaborationWhen working withparents with children ofspecial needs accordingto Adaptive learningEnvironment ) “ be opento that learning andexpectation of others”this would be goodsupport for Geomarsfamily that wayeveryone that aroundhim will be on the somepage as to what best forhis development.
22. Use positivereinforcements“Reinforcements would begood for Geomar this wouldmotivate him to keepexpanding on hisdevelopment” .• “ praises”• “a special activity”• “music”•“ toys”“These can be used asreinforcements for a childlearning a new skill. Thiswould help Geomar stay ontrack and help himunderstand what expected ofhim” .Reading package-supported inclusion pg 2-3
23. Children family doctor Address: 4002 SheppardE, Scarborough, ON M1S 4R5Phone:(416) 283-1313• Dr andrew Chung is afamily doctor• this would be good forGeomar because he would beable to get his regular check upthat he would need• “Dr Andrew Chung servesfor children from birth untiladulthood.”•“ you would have to book byappointment “
24. “provides information on healthy growth and development of children, rescores , and supports and services in the community” this would be good for Gemar because he hasPublic health Nurses joubert syndrome this my affect his breathing and his family would need to call someone in case of emergencies. “Toronto Public Health (TPH) reports to the Board of Health and is responsible for the health and well being of all 2.7 million residents. TPH has focused on protecting and promoting the health of Toronto residents since 1883 by:” For general information about Toronto Public Health programs and services: Phone: 3-1-1 24 Hours a day To speak to a health professional for free, confidential information and advice; or to register for public health programs, such as food handler training and pre-natal classes: Phone: 416-338-7600, for people who are deaf, deafened or hard of hearing call 416-392-0658 for TTY 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.toronto.ca/health/contactus/in
25. About Sick kidsHospital.“The Hospital for Sick Children(SickKids), affiliated with theUniversity of Toronto, is Canadasmost research-intensive hospitaland the largest centre dedicated toimproving childrens health in thecountry. As innovators in childhealth, SickKids improves thehealth of children by integratingcare, research and teaching.”“With a staff that includesprofessionals from all disciplinesof health care andresearch, SickKids provides thebest in complex and specializedcare by creating scientific andclinical advancements, sharingknowledge and expertise andchampioning the development ofan accessible, comprehensive andsustainable child health system. ”
26. Sick kids hospitalThe Hospital for Sick Children555 University AvenueToronto, OntarioCanadaM5G 1X8General inquiries: 416-813-1500Patient information/locating: 416-813-6621Ontario Poison Centre: 416-813-5900Telehealth Ontario info line: 1-866-797-0000• there are two ways yo refer a client1.” electronic Child Health Network(eCHN) e-Referral.• 2. The original Ambulatory ReferralManagement system (ARMs)”•“ they have an emergency room “• “sick kids population they serve is forkids”•http://www.sickkids.ca/search/search.aspx?activePillar=hospital
27. Delton AssociatesOur counselling services assist notonly your child but also you asparents and other family members.When one member of a family isexperiencing difficulties, it oftenaffects all members. Involving allmembers of the family andbringing together their full powerand support can strengthen theability resolve the troubling issuesin a mutually respectful andcooperative manner.and we can discuss an appropriatereferral to meet your needsFor inquires or appointments feelfree to call our Client Service Teamtoll free: 1.888.245.5516Fax us: 519.787.0773The population they serve iseveryonehttp://www.drdandalton.com/index.cfm?page=OurPurpose
28. VisionInstitution16 York Mills Road visioninstitution located at YorkMills Centre16 York Mills RoadSuite 110 (Ground Floor)Toronto, ON M2P 2E5Canada Tel: (416) 224-2273 Fax: (416) 224-9234 Send us an email“They serve people of all ages Regular and specialized eye careservices are provided to the generalpublic and to persons with specialneeds.”“Vision Institute andan appointment can be made byfaxing a referral letter to theInstituteThey provide emergency care andopen Monday- Friday and timefluctuates”http://www.visioninstitute.optometry.net/PracticeTemplates/index.
29. “This book has been created for parents who have decided to make education and research an integral part of the treatment process.” “In this book doctors, caregivers and other health professionals, it tells parents where and how to look for information covering virtually all topics related to joubert syndrome” http://www.amazon.com/Official-Parents-Sourcebook-Joubert-Syndrome/dp/0497009889
30. image of child with bracilla - Steinman., LeJeune, B. A., Kimbrough, B. J., & T.;, B. (n.d.). Developmental Stages of Reading Processes in Children Who Are Blind and Sighted | Paths to Literacy. Paths to Literacy | for students who are blind or visually impaired. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.pathstoliteracy.org/braille-emergent-literacy-general- literacy/content/research/developmental-stages-reading-processes image of standing frame - Chaeli Campaign Reipients. (n.d.). The Chaeli Campaign | Hope in Motion. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.samesamebutdifferent.co.za/recipients.asp?NewSubMenuName=Mobilising%20The%20Body image of visual on shelves - Taking on Third: Classroom Updates. (n.d.). Taking on Third. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://takingonthird.blogspot.ca/2011/08/classroom-updates.html image of zoom text - ZoomText 9.1 Magnifier plus Reader. (n.d.). Whole Net Technology - Home. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://abro.ca/product.php?id=ZoomText%209.1%20Magnifier%20plus%20Reader&parent=magSoft.txt Image with child with counting bears - Groups | Early Education | Day Care. (n.d.). SERRA International Preschool | Play Groups | Early Education | Day Care - Explore, Enhance, Enrich. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.serrapreschools.com/en/serra-programs/pre-school.html Image of children at the table flexibility - Why Is It Important To Have Routines In Childcare? | LIVESTRONG.COM. (n.d.). LIVESTRONG.COM - Lose Weight & Get Fit with Diet, Nutrition & Fitness Tools | LIVESTRONG.COM. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.livestrong.com/article/547076-why-is-it-important-to-have-routines-in-childcare/ Image of positive reinforcement - harmful, l. r. (n.d.). GrowingWell.com - Positive Reinforcement. GrowingWell.com - The Comprehensive guide for growing children. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.growingwell.com/themes/theme_m image of puzzles- Teacher Tom: "Just Right" Puzzles. (n.d.). Teacher Tom. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://teachertomsblog.blogspot.ca/2013/01/just-right-puzzles.html image of teacher and children Child Care Frequently Asked Questions - Cornwall. (n.d.). Cornwall. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.cornwall.ca/en/socialservices/faq.asp Chaeli Campaign Reipients. (n.d.). The Chaeli Campaign | Hope in Motion. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.samesamebutdifferent.co.za/recipients.asp?NewSubMenuName=Mobilising%20The%20Body Pre-school Program - SERRA Programs - SERRA International Preschool | Play Groups | Early Education | Day Care. (n.d.). SERRA International Preschool | Play Groups | Early Education | Day Care - Explore, Enhance, Enrich. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.serrapreschools.com/en/serra-programs/pre-school.html
31. Image of children making choices - Giving Children Choices Challenge | My Little Bit of Life. (n.d.). My Little Bit of Life | Tips to make your journey with children easier, happier and more fun.... Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://mylittlebit oflife.com/?p=3461 Image of lady and baby - Help your baby or child talk | Baby Chatter. (n.d.). Baby Chatter, Speech Therapist Perth, Speech Pathologist West Leederville. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.babychatter.com.au/how-to-help-your-child/ Image of man and child Fading prompts when Teaching Self-Help Skills. (n.d.). Tips for Special Needs Kids. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://tips4specialkids.com/2011/08/24/fading-prompts-when-teaching-self-help-skills/ Image of thinking- preface, w. o., & student, l. m. (n.d.). Mango Languages | A Dramatic Lesson in Critical Thinking. Mango Languages. Retrieved April 4, 2013, from http://www.mangolanguages.com/blog/language-corner/a-dramatic-lesson-in-critical- thinking/ image with parents and teacher- My Aspergers Child: Parent-Teacher Collaboration: Help for Aspergers Students. (n.d.). My Aspergers Child. Retrieved April 4, 2013, from http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2013/03/parent-teacher-collaboration-help- for.html Image of vision institute - Vision Institute of Canada-Eye health education, research & clinical services-Toronto ,ON(Optometrist, eye doctor, optician, vision). (n.d.). Vision Institute of Canada-Eye health education, research & clinical services-Toronto ,ON(Optometrist, eye doctor, optician, vision). Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.visioninstitute.optometry.net/PracticeTemplates/index.aspx?user_data_id=499&menu_id=552 Image of sick kids hospital- About SickKids. (n.d.). Sickkids - hospital. Retrieved April 4, 2013, from http://www.sickkids.ca/AboutSickKids/inde image of joubert book - The Official Parents Sourcebook on Joubert Syndrome: A Revised and Updated Directory for the Internet Age: ICON Health Publications: 9780497009885: Amazon.com: Books. (n.d.). Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more. Retrieved April 3, 2013, from http://www.amazon.com/Official-Parents- Sourcebook-Joubert-Syndrome/dp/0497009889 image of the delton logo- About Our Purpose. (n.d.). Ontario therapists & Counselling Services in Toronto and Southwestern Ontario. Retrieved April 4, 2013, from http://www.drdandalton.com/index.cfm?page=OurPurpose Image of family care- CVAA.org.uk - Consortium of Voluntary Adoption Agencies - Child Adoption - Become an Adopter. (n.d.). CVAA.org.uk - Consortium of Voluntary Adoption Agencies - Child Adoption - Become an Adopter. Retrieved April 4, 2013, from Imaga of the classroom- flexibility in routain - Google Search."Google. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 Apr. 2013. <http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=flexibility+in+routain&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44697112,d.b2I&biw=1366&bih=667&u m=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1s9bUcSuJamY2wWz- 4GIAw#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=flexibility+in+routain+in+day+care&oq=flexibility+in+routain+in+day+care&gs_l=img.3 ...11497.15032.0.15322.214.171.124.0.0.0.84.8126.96.36.199...0.0...1c.1.8.img.IFfSqGj- oIA&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44697112,d.b2I&fp=b8c838382ce5b348&biw=1366&bih=667&imgrc=PtIWA_BRYbC4MM%3A%3Bs6 8wHX_vq4VW2M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffeatherschildcare.co.nz%252Fwp- content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F09%252F7bmQkwOfxFpetTSL2cnODbBT1pTp5j5SjM6pBTXrgtAxtM5Z9Z67eL7H8mYc6Xcbf. png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ffeatherschildcare.co.nz%252Fdaily-programme%252F%3B400%3B265 Image the world- Contact us - Toronto Public Health. (n.d.).toronto.ca | Official website for the City of Toronto. Retrieved April 4, 2013, from http://www.toronto.ca/health/contactus/in Image of doctor cung- CVAA.org.uk - Consortium of Voluntary Adoption Agencies - Child Adoption - Become an Adopter. (n.d.). CVAA.org.uk - Consortium of Voluntary Adoption Agencies - Child Adoption - Become an Adopter. Retrieved April 4, 2013, from