Transcript of "New responsibilities of university and teachers for sustainable development"
NEW RESPONSIBILITIES OF
A UNIVERSITY AND TEACHERS
IN OPEN AND DISTANCE
Can you imagine your life
without the Internet?
The Web has entered our lives and homes
The World Is Becoming
Information technology has had a
globalizing effect, knocking down many barriers
Role of Information Technology
in Today’s World
What kind of challenges arise
in the Information Society?
Technological revolution determines
of a new type of society,
namely Information Society.
Global economy framework is
changing dramatically within
the process of Information Society
establishment. At the same time
borders between countries and people
are being erased.
Change in society
• Need for new knowledge in all areas all the time
• Workforce more agile – continously acquiering
new skills during worklife
• To be competetive we need to deliver more
knowledge behind our products – added value
• Tasks are becoming more complex
• To keep up - we need to educate smarter, more
flexible, more responsive, more engaging, based
on learners prerequisites, use technology wisely
the Information Society
Building a global information space
Increasing role of
technologies in the life
Growing number of
people involved in the
Changing educational environment
Students different from us (Next generation)
Representative of generation
wake up to the alarm on phone;
go to social networks via iPad and iPhone;
visit social networking sites DAILY;
send or receive tweets at least once every day;
check email through laptops/netbooks/computers;
watching TV/radio via the Nintendo Wii;
listen to the iPod on the way to school.
Generation Z – they comes,
• play virtual games;
• enjoying virtual drawing;
• Study: At-home 3-D printing;
• learning language;
• learning musical instruments;
• puzzles developing logic;
• gaining text;
• watching cartoons;
• communicate with friends.
How Russian parents
view and capitalize on Digital Media?
90% of children
use phone regularly
80% of children
regularly use a computer
Digital Parenting Russia Study, 2012
Why students choose online
learning and their expectations?
Flexible pacing for completing a program
Reputation of institution
Financial assistance available
Ability to transfer credits
Future employment opportunities
Distance from campus
Recommendations from employer
What is notable for online students?
• The quality of online instruction is excellent.
• Student assignments are clearly defined in the
• Faculty are responsive to student needs.
• Tuition paid is a worthwhile investment.
• Faculty provide timely feedback about student
Online students are looking for an education that fits conveniently
into their personal and work lives with adaptive, self-paced learning
options and an educational experience that meets academic standards.
MOOCs: Top sites for free education
with elite universities
Carnegie Mellon Open Learning
Google Code University
Stanford iTunes U
MIT Open Courseware
10. Mozilla Developer Network
Learn Python The Hard Way
Learning Space: The Open University
Tufts Open Courseware
UMass Boston Open Courseware
ICT allows us to solve a number of problems,
allowing us to look at distance learning as
a key resource, offering opportunities to compensate
for social inequalities.
The 15 biggest education
MOOCs & OpenupEd
National and institutional aspects of online teaching and learning
Institutional models for online or blended course and curriculum
Innovations in technology enhanced learning for the future
Quality assurance in online and distance learning
Good practices of transitions to open and flexible learning
Research strand on national and institutional aspects of opening up
education and institutional models for curriculum development and delivery
Transforming the learning environment
Attract international students, but stay local
Collaborate and compete with other universities
Alternative credentialing platforms
Learning management systems
Tablets & smartphones & E-textbooks
17 Real-World ways iPads are
being used in education
1. Putting students in charge of
the learning experience
2. Replacing textbooks and
3. Filling teacher shortages in rural
4. Providing home internet access
5. Improving math skills
6. Establishing models for
large ipad deployments
7. Immersing children in better technology
8. Attracting grant money
9. Expanding on existing pilot programs
10. Helping students with disabilities
11. By students who bring their
own ipads to class
12. Improving student engagement
13. Closing the digital achievement
14. Gaining the trust of
15. Expanding their higher ed.
16. Making old school supplies
17. Re-imagining how newspapers
are used in class
How Non-Traditional students
are changing education
• They’re demanding—and getting—flexibility
• They’re getting schools to accommodate their lives
• They’re driving an expansion in online degree programs
• They’re increasing employer acceptance of online degrees
• They’re showing diversity comes in many forms
Jennifer Williamson, Distance Education.org Columnist
The evolution of educational
• The students is obliged to attend
classes at university
• The only two sources of knowledge
are lectures and books
• The student has excellent basic IT
• The student is capable to find
necessary information by his own
The modern student needs «guide»
in the world of knowledge, but not a source of knowledge!
Social network service
as a tool for a modern teacher
Always at hand –
anywhere in the world
The most-used ipad Apps
A 21st century teacher
• Focus on the student’s point of view.
• Dialogue with your students.
• Re-think how the student interprets your lesson.
• Let students question what they are learning.
• Make it real-life relevant.
• Let students contribute to their learning.
• Facilitate learning as opposed to giving knowledge.
• Have students photograph the world around them.
• Have students make time-lapse videos for later reflection.
• Participate in conference calls around the world your class.
• Let students use their cellphones.
• Have students create movie trailers for introduction to the lesson.
• Be just as teach savvy as your students.
• Have students design and create websites.
A 21st century teacher
• Get students involved with the community.
• Teach students how to discern what is good information and what is not.
• Incorporate seeing things from a different perspective.
• Encourage and entertain all questions.
• Flip the classroom with useful resources.
• Documenting the learning for your reflection and the students’ reflection.
• Learn new ways relate to your students.
• Integrate theatrics into your classroom. Invest in the character you are teaching about.
• Collaborate with teachers from outside your circle.
• Design alternative assessments that use the whole brain.
• Be social.
• Learn, explore, integrate, utilize.
• Use tablets, create apps. for tablets, explore information through the tablet.
Our Student needs
is fluent in basic
able to find
doesn’t see the
need to record
needs a “guide”
to the world of
To carry out
What a student
To create new
To conduct a student
Teach him with the
use of IT technologies
already familiar to him
student in past
was forced to
courses to record
the only source
of knowledge is
Moscow State University of Economics, Statistics and Informatics
of a modern Russian student
Google + - social network
Vkontakte Russian analogue
Today a new task for teachers – not just to
share their own knowledge with students, their
own point of view, but also to give them
the chance to reach their own conclusions.
The new conditions demand that teachers be
able to build new skills in their students
• self-motivated study
• self-organisation an planning of personal
• personal working techniques with information
resources in the electronic environment
• the readiness to study and gain new
qualifications through their lives
High technologies are applied
in teaching/learning process
Applications help students:
• to get quick and easy access to study materials,
their grades, sports results, etc.
• to get University fresh news on the phone (academic,
• to create an account in the university social network
as well as to get access to the personal account
• to have continuous access to the library catalog,
phone numbers and e-mail addresses of teachers
• to use the convenient navigator in the e-campus
Today’s students believe that
the most important advantage of
a modern educational institution is
that it give them the chance to feel
there are no limits to their world of
education, and that it helps them
develop into modern people,
adapted to the realities
of this new life.
Rector, Ph.D, Professor
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.