View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
HOW DO I COPE WITH SOMEONE WHO
HAS A GAMBLING PROBLEM?
• Don't lend the gambler money; the person will be tempted to use the
money for gambling instead for paying debts.
• Put your energies into protecting yourself financially, physically and
• It is normal to feel betrayed and angry. Acknowledge your feelings and
learn appropriate ways to express them.
• Be honest.
• Talk to people you trust about your situation.
• Solve your own problems - you can't solve someone else's problems for
• Allow the problem gambler to face the consequences of their actions; don't
• Allow the person to take responsibility for his or her own behaviour.
• Understand that you are not to blame for the problem and that you cannot
force the person to stop gambling.
• Encourage the gambler to seek professional help.
• Offer to assist the person to get therapy.
• Help them get involved in non-gambling activities.
• Seek professional support and advice to help yourself.
• Start living your own life and doing things you enjoy.
• Be clear about your boundaries - make up your mind what you are and
are not willing to accept.
• Treat excessive gamblers in the same way as you would treat other addicts
- with detachment and kindness.
Grade 9 | Unit 9.5 | Page 10