Learning Activity Sheet
LEARNING ACTIVITY SHEET: TRUE OR FALSE?
Indicate for each statement whether it is True or False
1. People who play dice or buy lottery tickets are eventually bound to win big. True / False
2. If you flipped a coin 9 times and if it came up heads each time, it's bound to be tails
the 10th time.
3. If you buy a Lotto ticket, your chances of winning the big prize are about 1 in a 1,000.
4. You should gamble only when you feel lucky.
5. Some gambling activities require skill.
6. People who gamble generally spend more money than they win.
7. If you know your sports team well, you're sure to win when you bet on them.
8. Some types of gambling involve greater risks than others.
9. If you know the pattern of the numbers, you can predict which number will come up in
the next throw of the dice.
10. Trying to pick a specific card, you stand to be wrong 51 out of 52 times.
11. Gambling can be fun for some people.
12. You have as much chance of winning the big Lotto prize as being struck by lightning
twice in your lifetime.
13. If you know the pattern of winning numbers, you will increase your chances of winning
14. If someone in your family has a problem with gambling, it is best to keep it a secret
and not tell anyone.
15. The best way to avoid spending too much money when gambling is to decide how
much you can afford to spend and stick to the amount.
16. If you pick your own number for a fafi bet, you have a better chance of winning than
if you rely on a dream for a number.
17. Angela is going for her driving test. There are two possible outcomes. Either she will
pass or she will fail. Therefore, the probability that she will pass is 1/2.
18. In a form of Lotto, players choose 4 numbers 1 to 20. The set of numbers of 10, 11,
12, 13 is less likely to win than a set of 4 numbers that aren't in order.
19. Traffic lights can be red, green or orange. The probability that a traffic light will be red as
you approach it is 1 in 3.
1 Taken from Gambling: Reducing the Risks, Grade 9, p. 111-115. Saskatchewan Health, 1999.
Grade 9 | Unit 9.4 | Page 12