Risk management is a growing concern in today's businesses. High-profile security breaches have dominated IT news in recent years, leading to public and painful disclosures that have dramatically affected brand image and the financial health of many public companies. From the boardroom to the data center, organizations are experiencing a crisis of trust. Customers are losing trust in the ability of businesses to keep their personal data safe. IT departments are losing trust in their own ability to meet business security and compliance mandates. CxOs and compliance officers are losing trust in the certifications they're required to submit because they have no way of confirming that security, identity, and access management controls are in place and properly followed. In addition to the increase in risk, compliance challenges are a reality of current business conditions. Today's businesses must comply with a complicated and growing set of industry and government regulations. Sarbanes-Oxley, Basel II, HIPAA, PCI-DSS and others add layers of administration and complexity to already complicated networks—layers that guarantee increased risk and increased difficulty in managing it. There are two kinds of control needed - Operation control, Risk control Operational Patching Help Desk Performance Up-time Accessability Support Compatability Standardization Risk 285 Million records compromised in 2008 74 percent compromised by external sources 20 percent compromised by insiders 32 percent implicated business partners Continuing regulatory requirements Sarbanes-Oxley Basel II HIPAA PCI DSS Good guys gone bad Good guys wanting to be good Help desk bombarded when something goes wrong Enforcement side is being ratcheted up Attacks are far more advanced Attacker are far more organized Cyber espianage Aurora breach – Google Risk management HSBC news – good guys doing the right things - Good guys wanting to do the right things Advanced persistent threat Lose credibility Lose competitive advantage Connected and disconnected Location Device (corporate or personal)
We define a “workload” as everything from an integrated suite of software that includes the operating system, middle-ware and application to just the application itself. When you aggregate several workloads together, you create a business service that the end user consumes .
Anything not clear? Missing?
Best identity solutions on the market Biggest set of assets to meet your needs today and in the future Broadest support for mixed IT environments Start anywhere and move around
• Determine your business problem • Ask yourself if the solution will put you on the path • Start anywhere • Grow everywhere
Slide : Novell ® Making IT Work As One™
1. WorkloadIQ ™ The intelligent way to build, secure, manage and measure workloads across physical, virtual and cloud environments Your Name Here Your Title Here Your Email Here August 19, 2010
2. 21 st Century Computing <ul><li>The risks and challenges of computing across multiple environments must be controlled. </li></ul><ul><li>Users should have unimpeded access to the full computing services they need to do their jobs right. </li></ul><ul><li>Computing should be secure, compliant and portable. </li></ul>
3. It's All about Balance Control Flexibility
4. New Technologies Mean New Flexibility Virtualization Cloud “ Anything” as a Service Mobile devices
5. Regulations Require More Control Risk Operational
6. Physical, Virtual and Cloud Utilization Percent of enterprise workloads that will run in physical, virtual and cloud environments by 2015 Novell estimates based on IDC and Gartner data
7. Intelligent Workload Management
8. <ul><li>Today </li></ul><ul><li>Integrated </li></ul>The Evolution of the Workload <ul><li>Future </li></ul><ul><li>Portable </li></ul><ul><li>Platform-agnostic </li></ul>Application Middleware Operating System
9. Workloads Deliver a Business Service Workloads Business Service Example: SAP inventory report seen by user Database workload on physical hardware in a legacy data center Application server virtualized in a private cloud Presentation and graphics server in a public cloud
10. The Customer Challenge: Manage a Siloed Infrastructure IT Service Management IT Service Management IT Service Management Business Service Management Business Service Management Business Service Management Physical Virtual Cloud Governance and Compliance Governance and Compliance Governance and Compliance Internal Cloud (On-Premise) External Cloud (Off-Premise) Firewall
11. Intelligent Workload Management: From Silos to Services IT Service Management Business Service Management Governance and Compliance Internal Cloud (On-Premise) External Cloud (Off-Premise) Build Secure Measure Manage Firewall Physical Virtual Cloud
12. Intelligent Workload Management Intelligent workload management enables IT organizations to manage and optimize computing resources in a policy-driven , secure and compliant manner across physical, virtual and cloud environments to deliver business services for end customers. Intelligent WORKLOAD Management
13. What Makes a Workload Intelligent? <ul><li>Policy-driven </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Enables self-regulation and management according to business policy </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Recognizes when it is at capacity </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Finds alternative computing capacity as required to optimize performance </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Secure </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Includes security controls that move with the workload between environments </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Enables real-time event tracking, monitoring and alerting </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Compliant </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Understands its security protocols and processing requirements </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Delivers built-in log management and compliance reporting capabilities </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Recognizes when workload contains confidential information </li></ul></ul>
14. The intelligent way to build, secure, manage and measure workloads across physical,virtual and cloud environments
15. Data Center Computing Is Changing Identity Is at the Center of the Transformation Intelligent Workload Management Cloud (Public and Private) Virtualization Single-purpose Physical Systems
16. IDC Whitepaper: Intelligent Workload Management Enables Security from the Datacenter to the Cloud 2010 Security and identity and access management are critical to the success of physical, virtual and cloud computing. Identity Is Critical
17. WorkloadIQ: Integrating Identity into Management Isolated Identity Awareness Resource Management General Purpose Operating System Security and Compliance Management Service Management Service Management Security and Compliance Management Resource Management Custom, Supported Operating System
20. WorkloadIQ: Services Novell Services and Partners
21. WorkloadIQ: Technology Partners
22. WorkloadIQ: Case Studies Build HSBC uses SUSE Linux Enterprise Server , a WorkloadIQ product, to improve operational efficiency and reduce overall IT costs. Walmart uses SUSE Linux Enterprise Server , a WorkloadIQ product, to move to lower-cost commodity server hardware while improving the customer experiences. DFS uses SUSE Linux Enterprise Server , a WorkloadIQ product, to ensure high availability and safety for its aircraft, while saving on licensing fees.
23. WorkloadIQ: Case Studies Secure Vancouver 2010 uses Novell Identity Manager , a WorkloadIQ product, to ensure users have the correct access rights and that they're being enforced consistently across the infrastructure. Toll Brothers uses Novell Access Manager and Novell Identity Manager , WorkloadIQ products, to increase security while reducing user management time and costs. Telecom Italia uses Novell Sentinel , a WorkloadIQ product, to reduce workload and costs by almost 50 percent, and to achieve compliance.
24. WorkloadIQ: Case Studies Manage BCCard uses PlateSpin Forge , a WorkloadIQ product, to protect its data and maintain availability of critical systems. Sussex Health Informatics Service uses Novell ZENworks Configuration Management , a WorkloadIQ product, to enable full remote maintenance and automated software distribution, reducing costs and improving clinical care. Essent uses PlateSpin Migrate , a WorkloadIQ product, to consolidate its servers and save approximately €2 million.
25. WorkloadIQ: Case Studies Measure Europo Assistance uses Novell Business Service Management , a WorkloadIQ solution, to ensure better availability for key systems and to improve reliability of support. Gothaer Systems uses Novell Business Service Management , a WorkloadIQ product, to ensure 24x7 available for critical systems, fix problems quickly and minimize downtime. The US Navy uses Novell Sentinel , a WorkloadIQ product, to automate and centralize security monitoring.
26. WorkloadIQ: Business Benefits <ul><li>Ensures security and compliance </li></ul><ul><li>Reduces IT labor cost </li></ul><ul><li>Improves capital utilization </li></ul><ul><li>Reduces provisioning cycle times </li></ul><ul><li>Lowers end user IT support costs </li></ul><ul><li>Increases user productivity </li></ul>
27. You Can Have Both Flexibility Control
28. Where Do I Start? Start anywhere. Grow everywhere