Social Media Boot Camp:
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Video
Northeast Ohio Media Group
October 25, 2013
Social Media Boot Camp
• What is the current social media landscape?
• Why does social media matter for businesses?
• Who, what, when, where, why and how:
– Other Sites and Resources
Humans tend to universally like certain things:
to be entertained, to learn, to save time, to
save money, to be ahead of the curve, to
feel inspired, to help others, to share, to
How does your strategy fit into the humanness of marketing?
[Make People Feel Like They Do Watching This.]
Highlights -201 3 Social Media Users
Facebook: 1.15 BILLION (750 mm mobile)
YouTube: 1 Billion+
Twitter: 550 million +
Google Plus: 500 million +
LinkedIn: 238 million +
• Rising *Visual* Stars: Instagram ( 150 mm;
owned by Facebook), Pinterest (70 mm)
• 5.98 BILLION mobile devices globally
Visibility at All Times
• We “Share This”
• We talk about what we like (or don’t like)
Social Media Landscape Right Now
• Social media is the new “Word of Mouth”
• Things are discovered, reviewed, shared and
recommended in real time
• Credibility is developed by being visible as an expert
• Familiarity and trust are created through ongoing
interaction, in many places, many ways
• Customer service is greatly enhanced by the ability
to immediately interact and connect
• Brands are expected to be on social media, and to
present unique, exclusive content
• What do they see?
• Is your expertise
Media helps make
sure it is.
You and Your Company
Social Media Increases “Serendipity”
“If you want more luck, take
Be more active.
Show up more often.” ~
(good summary of Social Media)
Conversational and Other-Focused
• Remember the “social” piece – the
more interactive, the more results
• Keep the conversation
80-90% about THEM and
only 10-20% about your
• Sharing content that is helpful and
useful to people who might buy
your product will drive connections
10 Questions to Ask: Social Media Strategy
1. What’s our main goal behind social media?
2. Who should set up, maintain our social media?
3. Should we be on all the big social media platforms?
4. Which social media is best for my type of business? (B2B? B2C?)
5. How often should we do updates?
6. What type of content should we post on each network?
7. Should we use social media for customer service?
8. How can we convert social media followers into customers?
9. How can we measure effectiveness/success?
10. What are the biggest mistakes to avoid?
Adapted from http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/228324
It’s Personal, and It’s Business
• Entertainment focus
• Photos increase
engagement by 84%
• Appeal broadly to
• Contests and
promotions do well*
• Updates do not need to
be about your company
• Show your personality
*Third-party services like
Offerpop, Woobox, Shoutlet, Wildfire, et
c. are good options for running contests
– FB has specific promotion and contest
Uses FB to connect with consumers in a goofy/quirky way—build customer relationships by
appearing non-corporate, meeting customers on a fun level. https://www.facebook.com/skittles
YouTube (Owned by Google):
Get Product Demos, Testimonials, Tutorials, and
Usage Ideas in Front of Buyers
A champion in video marketing with a great YouTube channel where they house all
their "will it blend" videos and ask for requests for more things to blend.
LinkedIn: Brilliant for Networking
• Find buyers at target companies
• Be discoverable
• Keep your profile updated:
– Professional photo
– Current title and company
– Succinct Summary including
– Complete history allows for faster
– Add causes and volunteer work
– Join relevant Groups and interact
• Jump in now!
– 500 million people have joined
– Marketing is now focusing on G+ for 2013 and
– Increasingly important from a local, social signal,
and (SEO) search perspective .
– G+ already affects SEO – especially locally – in a
• Claim both your Google Plus and Google Plus
Local (Google Places) Page to be Verified
Metrics and Measuring
• Use a platform like Hootsuite (or Radian6,
Vocus, Vitrue, Sysomos, ArgyleSocial, etc.)
to monitor mentions, schedule some
posts/tweets/updates, and track results
from shortened links
• Shorten URLs (web addresses) with a link
shortener (Hootsuite’s is built it, or try
bit.ly or similar) – these track opens on
links so you can determine which articles
• Monitor keywords like business name,
products, and #hashtags in your industry
• A majority of Americans now use Social Media
• SM can proactively create a new stream of clients, and
enhance customer service for existing clients
• Top SM sites to grow and maintain a client base are:
– Facebook (B2C)
– LinkedIn (B2B)
– Google Plus
This presentation can be downloaded at http://slideshare.net/amyneumann
Passionate fan of all things tech and media for 19+ years
with companies like Yahoo! and AT&T. Currently delighted
to be at Northeast Ohio Media Group (NEOMG) doing
everything Search & Social
Often seen writing about topics involving social
media, search, social good, mobile, developing
technology, and similar including for Forbes, the
Huffington Post, two personal blogs (Good Plus Tech and
Charity Ideas Blog) and numerous other websites and
Originally hails from Northeast Ohio with a brief stop (16
years) in Los Angeles before returning to the Cleveland
Let’s connect! Just Google me ;)
About Northeast Ohio Media Group
The Northeast Ohio Media Group is a
digitally-focused media company that
launched in August 2013. We operate
cleveland.com and the Sun News and are
responsible for all multimedia ad sales and
marketing for The Plain Dealer, Sun News
and cleveland.com. We also provide
content to The Plain Dealer, cleveland.com
and the Sun News.
Together we are the #1 source of news
and information in Northeast Ohio, serving
over 1.3 million readers in print and online.
We deliver your audience
wherever they are!
About Advance Publications and
Founded in 1922 and currently #52 on the
Forbes list of America’s Largest Private
Companies, Advance Publications is a
communications company whose leading
media properties include more than 25
local newspapers, websites, mobile sites
and apps; Conde Nast
publications, websites, mobile sites and
apps; Parade Publications, Fairchild
Publications and American City Business
In addition to reaching more than 18.9
million consumers every month, Advanced
Digital is an authorized reseller and
representative of Google, Yahoo! and
Bing, and was recently recognized as the
2013 Microsoft Digital Marketing Partner of