1. International Project Management Committee Overview and Status Dr. Edward Hoffman, Chairman International Project Management Committee(NASA Academy of Program/Project & Engineering Leadership)
2. IPMC Background• Established by members of space agencies, companies and professional organizations• Initial discussions in Galveston, Texas following NASA Project Management Challenge 2010• First formal session held in Paris on 25 March 2010 during IAF Spring MeetingsGoal: To establish a means to share experiences andbest practices with space project/program managementpractitioners at the global level
3. IPMC Structure• Established as an IAF Committee• Members from space agencies, companies, universities and professional organizations• Meets at least twice per year – IAC and IAF Spring Meetings – Also holds periodic videocons and telecons• Works closely with the IAF’s Space Education and Outreach (SEOC), Workforce Development and Young Professionals Committees
4. IPMC Objectives• Exchange information on program/project management, technical workforce development, best practices, and other activities of mutual interest• Organize specialized symposia/events on topics of interest to the international space project management community• Cooperate with other organizations interested in the enhancement of space project management practices• Undertake studies, reports & projects that contribute to the improvement of space project management at the global level• Facilitate opportunities for collaboration among members
5. IPMC Committee Highlights• Impetus for the Committee began at PM Challenge 2010 in Galveston• Initial project: evolution of the NASA APPEL International Project Management Course • IPM-5 and IPM-6 successfully conducted (see next slide for IPM-6 highlights) • IPM-7 and IPM-8 scheduled – evolving toward a International Project Management course that supports broader space agency community needs.• IPMC members took part in/contributed to several other events: • PM Challenge 2010, 2011 and 2012 – International Track Sessions • APPEL Masters Forums including Passing the Torch -2 and -3, PI Forum-2 and APPEL Foundations of Aerospace course • Masters with Masters forums: Bolden/Dordain, Bolden/Wörner, Manning/Schmidt (Mars), Gerstenmaier/Shiraki (ISS), Bolden/Dordain/Wörner (Young Professionals), and Abiodun/Martinez (Africa) The IPMC today is a successful forum for informal sharing of activities, plans and challenges with other committee members.
6. Upcoming Activities and Plans• Lessons Learned Workshop • Organized by ESA in collaboration with CNES, DLR, JAXA and NASA • Will discuss various approaches and best practices for identifying, capturing, and disseminating lessons learned• Continued evolution of the International Project Management course • 2 offerings scheduled in 2012 • Continued participation and support from IPMC members • Opportunities to adapt curriculum for IPMC member use in courses• IPMC activities during IAC 2012 (planning underway)
7. For further information, please contact:Dr. Edward Hoffman, Director, NASA Academy & IPMC Chair email@example.com