Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Implementing Common Core through Work-Based Learning
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Implementing Common Core through Work-Based Learning

196

Published on

Work-based learning, driven by student learning outcomes, plays a significant role in deepening instruction and provides rich opportunities to apply and reinforce the Common Core State Standards. Come …

Work-based learning, driven by student learning outcomes, plays a significant role in deepening instruction and provides rich opportunities to apply and reinforce the Common Core State Standards. Come learn how work-based learning unlocks relevance and authenticity in the Common Core.
Presenters:
Rob Atterbury,
ConnectEd: The California Center for College and Career
Beth Kay,
National Academy Foundation
Lois Ann Porter,
National Academy Foundation

Published in: Education, Technology
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
196
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
4
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide
  • Do a quick round of introductions: Who are you and from where, one thing you would like to get from this sessionBeth: Introduce yourself and describe the work you do in transforming high schools and say why we wanted to do this sessionRob : Does the same
  • In this time of implementing the Common Core State Standards, it is very easy to approach this as yet another round of “standards revision.” Many of us have lived through such revision processes, multiple times. Even though we have had standards across the country since the 1990s, we have not had systemic standards based instruction. There are plenty of reasons why previous versions of standards so rarely led to standards based instruction.Typical state standards which preceded the Common Core were excessively long and broad. Even if a teacher wanted to teach all of the standards included in a typical grade, there simply are not enough school days in a year – perhaps in several years – to teach what was listed. In addition, the standards themselves were often made of exceptionally broad statements. Many student learning objectives could be aligned to very broad descriptions of learning. One might think that the assessments designed to evaluate student learning of these standards would be a point of guidance to teachers working from a list of standards too long to teach. State assessments however were often built on vague blue prints that often surveyed or sampled the standards.Teachers are therefore often left with the “best worst option” of simply covering as many of the standards as possible in order to hedge their bets for what would appear on the assessments. This has created an intense pressure on teachers, who have limited time. The level of student learning is considered only after the pacing charts. For decades the long lists of standards coupled with accountability pressures have led to an unbalanced focus on what is being taught, rather than on what is being learned.
  • So despite a lot of effort, our past efforts to implement standards have not generally led to broad student achievement. Instead, we have lots of evidence that we are still falling short. We continue to have significant gaps in achievement among racial/ethnic groups, income levels, etc. While standards were supposed to define the minimum expectations for all students, we have actually had persistent gaps in expectations for students as we attempted to implement a set of standards which simply could not have been thoroughly taught –or learned. Despite smaller class sizes and a doubling of spending on education over the last four decades, we have had little signs of improvement on the literacy assessments of the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), which is commonly referred to as “our nation’s report card.” While we have had a slight increase in 4th grade results, 8th grade results have been flat, and the results we get from the 12th grade assessment show a slight dip in proficiency levels. Another piece of evidence that indicates the need for reform is the data from the ACT assessment. These 2012 results show alarming gaps between the knowledge and skills needed to earn a diploma and the knowledge and skills to actually be prepared for education and training after high school. This of course leads to incredibly high rates of remediation, costing many of our young adults a significant amount of time and money. Compounding the costs is the fact that remedial students are more likely to drop out of college without a degree. Less than 50 percent of remedial students complete their recommended remedial courses. Less than 25 percent of remedial students at community colleges earn a certificate or degree within eight years. Students in remedial reading or math have particularly dismal chances of success. A U.S. Department of Education study found that 58 percent of students who do not require remediation earn a bachelor’s degree, compared to only 17 percent of students enrolled in remedial reading and 27 percent of students enrolled in remedial math.
  • Rob to Lead
  • Rob to get audience to share actions
  • Transcript

    • 1. Implementing Common Core Through Work-based Learning Lois Ann Porter and Beth Kay National Academy Foundation Rob Atterbury ConnectEd: The California Center for College and Career
    • 2. #nafnext Welcome and Introductions • Who’s in the room? • Why are we here?
    • 3. #nafnext Why Common Core? We have had standards. Before Common Core State Standards we had standards, but rarely did we have standards-based instruction.  Long lists of broad, vague statements  Mysterious assessments  Coverage mentality  Focused on teacher behaviors – “the inputs” 4 www.achievethecore.org
    • 4. #nafnext
    • 5. #nafnext Results Previous state standards did not improve student achievement.  Gaps in achievement  Gaps in expectations  NAEP results  ACT 2012 data – College Readiness Benchmark All 4 subject areas: 25% 3 subject areas: 15% 2 subject areas: 17% 1 subject area: 15% None 28%  College remediation rates 6 www.achievethecore.org
    • 6. #nafnext Shifts required by the Common Core www.achievethecore.org www.achievethecore.org
    • 7. #nafnext
    • 8. #nafnext Advantage Academies have… • A shared vision of college and career readiness • Compatible approach to curriculum, instruction and assessment • Real-world integration and application • Authentic demonstrations of learning “the ideal “how” to deliver the “what” of Common Core”
    • 9. #nafnext Brainstorm Brainstorm What will students gain as a result of work- based learning experience? students gain as
    • 10. #nafnext Real-world Applications Through Work-Based Learning “The design and content of work-based learning offer fertile ground for the integration of the common core standards. High quality work-based learning experiences integrate Common Core standards and college and career ready outcomes…”
    • 11. #nafnext What outcomes do we expect?
    • 12. #nafnext What outcomes do you see?
    • 13. #nafnext Analysis • What Depth of Knowledge was evident? • How is the Common Core addressed?
    • 14. #nafnext What outcomes do you see?
    • 15. #nafnext Analysis • What Depth of Knowledge was evident? • How is the Common Core addressed?
    • 16. #nafnext 17 T Standards and Assessment Instructional Practices Student Skills Development High School Success Outcome College and Career Readiness Cognitive Skills Common Core Math & Literacy Next Generation Science Stds. Non- Cognitive Skills Behaviors of Learning and Teaching Path to College and Career Readiness Single/Cross Disciplinary PBL Work-based Learning 21st Century Skills
    • 17. #nafnext What actions will you take? What is one thing you are taking from this session?
    • 18. #nafnext Lois Ann Porter Beth Kay National Academy Foundation www.naf.org Rob Atterbury ConnectEd: The California Center for College and Career www.connectedcalifornia.org

    ×