1. What is a BITE? a wound received from the mouth (and in particular, the teeth) of an animal, including humans.
2. Classification: Arthropods (insects, arachnids and others)
3. • Spider bite
4. Classification: ◦ Insect bites and stings
5. Symptoms for each insect bite: Mosquito Bites • Itchy small papules(lumps)on skin • bullae (fluid-filled blisters) • weals (circular, fluid-filled areas surrounding the bite)
6. • Mosquito bites are responsible for the transmission of dengue fever and malaria.
7. Symptoms for each insect bite: Flea Bites • Development of papular urticaria (where a number of itchy red lumps form) • bullae
9. Symptoms for each insect bite: Bedbug • Irritating weals or lumps that sometimes occur in: • neck • arms • face • hands
11. Symptoms for each insect bite: Tick and Mite bites • swelling • blistering • itchiness • bruising
14. Immediate Treatment for insect bites:Thoroughly wash the area with soap and water.If you can see the sting, remove it by flicking with the edge of a piece of plastic such as tweezers . Take care not to squeeze the poison sac at the end of the sting
15. Immediate Treatment for insect bites:• a cold compress•a baking soda paste
16. Other Treatments for insect bites:1. Treat itching at the site of the bite with an over-the-counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in cream or pill form. Calamine lotion also helps relieve the itching2. Antihistamines are taken for a short period of 3-5 days. Steroids (cortisone-type drugs) may also be prescribed.
17. Other Treatments for insect bites:•a meat tenderizer solution, which can bemade by mixing one part meat tenderizerand 4 parts of water. This is especiallyhelpful for painful stings from bee, waspor ant. For best effect, soak a cottonball in the meat tenderizer solution anduse it to rub the area of the bite for 15-20 minutes.
18. Treatment for Snake bites:1. Keep the person calm, reassuring them thatbites can be effectively treated in an emergencyroom. Restrict movement, and keep theaffected area below heart level to reduce theflow of venom.
19. Animal Bites
20. Generalized Symptoms for Animal Bites:Redness at or around the bite siteSwelling Pus (thick) drainage from the wound
21. Generalized Symptoms for Animal Bites: Increasing pain Localized warmth at the bite site Red streaks leading away from the bite site Fever
22. Classification: Vertebrates other than Humans
23. Symptoms for Dog and cat Bites Laceration•Skin redness•Skin tenderness Puncture wound• Skin swelling Abrasion•Skin numbness Wound pain:•Skin pain pain ◦ Arm•Loss of skin ◦ Hand pain• Deformed skin ◦ Leg pain•Wound bleeding ◦ Foot pain
24. • Dog Bites
25. • Cats
26. • Wildlife (e.g. rats, wolves)
27. Treatment for dog and cat bites(Smaller wounds):Thoroughly wash the area with soap and water. Dry the wound with clean gauze or other non- fluffy material and cover with a dressing Get medical help right away.
28. Treatment for dog and cat bites:1. Help the injured person sit down to reduceshock2.Treat any bleeding by: oLooking in the wound. oApplying direct pressure. oElevating the site if its a limb.3. Get medical help right away.
29. Classification of bites: Human Bites • Involuntary biting injuries due to closed fist injuries from fists striking teeth • Finger chomping injuries Snakebites and Leech bites
30. Human Bites • Involuntary biting injuries due to closed fist injuries from fists striking teeth • Finger chomping injuries
31. Treatment for Human bites: • Get medical help right away.
32. Symptoms for Snake bites:•• bloody wound discharge weakness•• fang marks in the skin and swelling at blurred vision• the site of sweating excessive the bite•• severe increased pain fever localized•• diarrhea thirst•• burning muscle loss of • convulsions coordination•• fainting and vomiting nausea•• dizziness and tingling numbness rapid pulse
33. Snakebites and Leech bites
34. Treatment for Snake bites:4. Monitor the persons vital signs --temperature, pulse, rate of breathing, and bloodpressure -- if possible. If there are signs ofshock (such as paleness), lay the person flat,raise the feet about a foot, and cover the personwith a blanket.
35. Treatment for Snake bites:5. Get medical help right away.6. Bring in the dead snake only if this can bedone safely. Do not waste time hunting forthe snake, and do not risk another bite if it isnot easy to kill the snake. Be careful of thehead when transporting it -- a snake canactually bite for up to an hour after its dead(from a reflex).
36. Treatment for Snake bites: 2. Remove any rings or constricting itemsbecause the affected area may swell. Create a loose splint to help restrict movement of the area.3. . If the area of the bite begins to swell andchange colour, the snake was probablypoisonous.
37. Symptoms for Rabies:WHAT IS RABIES? •is a viral disease caused by a virus that is found in animals saliva
38. Symptoms for Rabies: •Fever •cough or the •Abdominal pain sensation of dry throat •Anxiety or •Pain, burning, restlessness that is itching, tingling or getting worse and can numbness to the develop into extreme place where one was agitation bitten or to the original exposure