Another way to turn up the H.E.A.T. in the classroom! Blackboard Basics Introduction and Refresher October 14, 2011 Emily Sanders & Lindsey Myers
After completing the Beginner Blackboard training, I will be able to...
create and modify the basic elements of the Blackboard/Blended Schools environment, which include folders, items and links.
explain how blackboard can enhance learning in the 21st century.
discuss ways to incorporate Bb into my classroom.
Logging On to Blackboard
Let's all log on before we begin the presentation, to ensure that logins work!
1. Go to: www.blendedschools.net
2. Enter your:
Username: pt99.lastnamefirstinitial (pt99.myersl)
Password: blended (or whatever you changed it to)
3. You should be on Blackboard's main page.
4. Access our PT Staff Training Site
5. Click on Introduction to open this PowerPoint
What is Blackboard?
Content Management for Classes
Online communication tool between teachers and students
Way of the future!
Student Learning Today
Students today are accustomed to learning online via tutorials
Advantages of tutorials:
record of lesson
learn at your own pace
Our Tasks for Today
Refresher on the Following:
Editing Personal Information
Adding a Folder
Adding an Item
Adding a Link (hyperlink)
Editing Personal Information
1. Go back to the main page of your account by clicking on the tab marked blendedschools.net
2. On the left hand side is a Tools box. Click on Personal Information.
3. On this page, you can change your name as it appears to students, your email, and your password.
Now: On to the Tutorials!
Accessing the Online Tutorials
1. On the left hand side of our PT Training Class, click on Module Three.
Accessing the Online Tutorials 2. Watch the first video tutorial: Building Structure in your Class 3. THEN watch the second video: Adding Text 4. LAST watch the first 4 minutes of the video tutorial: Adding Links 4. When you are finished, we will practice together!
We will be practicing adding a folder and an item to your course.
Go back to the main page of Blackboard(tab: blendedschools.net) and open your "practice" class.
Do we have a volunteer to walk us through it?
While you are practicing:
Add USEFUL folders and items to your course: create information you can use in a class!
Think about the objectives!
How can/will Blackboard help your course?
How does Blackboard enhance 21st Century Learning?
Are you successful in creating a folder and an item?
Questions? Additional Assistance?
For more help, check out the HELP section of Blended Schools/Blackboard.
Access this by clicking on the HELP link on the top of the screen.
Search by topic, and find a video tutorial to help you!
Please write down answers to these questions:
1. What is one way you could use BlackBoard for your class to turn up the H.E.A.T.?
2. What was missing in this presentation that you still want/need to learn?
3. How can we help you learn more about Blackboard?