Activities invite you to interact by surfacing the most relevant pieces of information in the story. Not only that, but our engine can draw certain correlations thus placing similar activities together and provide a more human like way of telling the stories which sound less repetitive.
*Unless you are in a culture where My Visitors is available and you want to track your visitors. Our user base raises a couple million activities a day !
You can really get to know someone’s life via their personal activity stream
After some days of research we found out that there were others outside our company who had the same dilemma: How to represent activities in a machine parseable fashion ? How to add enough metadata to the stories in the stream so an aggregator could correlate
This details are located at: http://wiki.activitystrea.ms/MySpace-Activity-Streams
DavidRecordon, Kevin Marks, Monica Keller, Nikita, Martin Atkins, Brandon Black, Luke Shepard, Chris Messina, Mike, Joseph Smarr, Nicolas Bertrand discussing verbs and object types
This is where we show the demo
Now that you know how to display activities, we are going to show you how to write activities.
Talk about what is new: Multiple Language support
App Activity Streams
You have New Friend Requests….
Marco Ensing (@sentient) wants to be your friend !
May 25, Hi I am the Architect in charge of Activities on the
2009 Developer Platform. If you have any issues raising
7:34 PM Activities or building Activity templates I can help you.
Monica Keller (@ciberch) wants to be your friend !
May 25, Hi I am Development Manager in charge of Activities.
2009 I can help you consume our Activities using the
6:14 PM emerging standards from activitystrea.ms
• At MySpace we give users the choice to stream in real time a variety
of activities. For example:
For the entire list of activities available click here
Activity Stream Privacy
• The activity stream is way to promote positive actions users want to
• It is not a way to stalk or spy on actions others are unaware of.
• Therefore, no one will ever be updated about when you:
Send or View other View other View other Read other
receive users' users' users' users'
messages profiles* photos videos blogs
Delete a Deny a
Activity Stream Reach
We have many places
MySpace features using
where activities are
the activities engine:
Songs recently added by friends
Friends Activities on Home Page, View All
Page,Toolbar, IPhone, Blackberry, Yahoo, Google
Local Ratings and Reviews
Celebrity Activities on Splash Page New Photo Album Indicators
Personal Activities stream on Profile page, Mail New Birthdays Home Page Module
Sender Pane and Yahoo Front Page
Artists’ Activities on Music Player My Visitors Home Page Module
• When we first started syndicating updates we had a tough time
agreeing on a generic object representation and providing guidance to
transform and group the activities data.
• We started by using XML/XSLT but soon clients started lagging behind
and the interfaces broke so then moved to simply providing the final
product as semantic html markup.
• This provided a polished, consistent user interface but did not allow for
our consumers to customize their display independently.
Activity Stream Syndication
Solution: Standardize our representation of social objects and actions
an extension to the Atom feed format to express what people are
doing around web
First draft specs: Activities in Atom; Activity Schema; Atom Media.
An initiative from the DiSo Project. Background.
• After some meetups and heads down sprints, MySpace made
available their activity streams api on February 25th, 2009 to a group
of small partners. Yahoo! was their first partner going live on March
• On March 25th, 2009 MySpace opened up the activity stream to all
• To consume the stream you can use a MySpaceID or Opensocial app.
Details at http://developer.myspace.com and documentation at:
It is very easy. Try it !
• You just need to be able to parse atom with extensions and you are all
set. More details here
• Unfortunately OpenSocial 0.9 was already committed to when we
started this effort but we are now researching ways to allow you to
include this rich metadata in existing 0.8 and 0.9 implementations until
the standalone activity strea.ms spec is out.
• We welcome your input please let us know how we can best extend
our offering to fit your needs.
• Activity Ingestion is done via OpenSocial
• Once you have created your application the next step is to create a template for your
activity and publish it.
• Onsite activities will be immediately available to all users who have the same app
• Offsite activities will be available to all your friends even if they have not tried that site
Templates tips and tricks
• Test with template editor your data
• Template aggregated format defaults to last event per day, no
– 4 variables
– Variables length max 200 char, visible 60 char
– Title max 160 char
– Body max 260 char
• Fiddler is your friend.
– Detailed error info on the responds for
developer of the app.
What is new
• More html => better support for microformats
» title, class
• Acitivity events showing to all friends. (not just the one who have the
• I18N of templates