2. Jen managed to track down Pablo and arranged to meethim at a local club. She walked straight past him at thebar, not recognising him. He saw her though, and broughther a drink to break the ice.
3. The reunion was awkward. Jen had been promoted several times and was engaged.Pablo had lost his job in the city and was now working as a freelance accountant forthose needing help with their taxes. From the state of him, Jen assumed he hadn’t hadany clients for a long while.They hammered out how it would work. Jen would collect the papers from the courthouse tomorrow morning and Pablo would sign and be on his way by the afternoon.He could stay in her flat tonight, as it was too late to find a hotel.
4. Pablo tried talking to her about their marriage but she was having none of it. It was sad things had gone downhill for him, but HE had cheated repeatedly on HER. She felt no guilt.Angus wasn’t thrilled by Pablo turning up with Jen, but heagreed to let him sleep in his upstairs flat while he spent thenight downstairs at Jen’s.
5. While Jen was out the next morning Pablo tried to psych Angus out. He pointed out that of all the men in all the world, Jen had gone for the nearest. Perhaps she didn’t really love him. Perhaps he was just convenient… it wasn’t like they had ANYTHING in common.Angus was disgusted, and loudlydefended his relationship with Jen.
6. When Pablo went to meet Jen at thecourt house he told her about theirfight, and that Angus had hit him.Surely she couldn’t be in love with aviolent man like that?Maybe they had better go back andturn Angus out of the house. Pablocould move in and protect her…
7. Jen informed him sternly that if Angus had hithim, he had deserved it. Angus was gentle anda romantic soul, who had taken her to seebutterflies on their first date rather than afootball match. Pablo was to go inside and signthe paper right NOW.Pablo hurried inside to do as he was bid.
8. Ambrose insisted on a home birth, but wasbeginning to regret it with only Bernice playingpiano to soothe her pain.
9. She cried thinking of Frank and how thisbaby would be without a father. But as thesparkles began she broke out into a smile.She was about to become a mother.
10. A baby boy appeared in her arms.She named him Julian Merrihall.
11. She put in him a crib under a paintingof her grandmother and began cryingagain. Julian would never know anygrandparents. Her mum and dadwere both dead and Frank’s weregoodness knew where.
12. Bernice and Gracie had a drink to celebrateJulian’s birth, but Bernice was uneasy. Ambroseneeded someone to talk with, to help her. Andthat person wasn’t her.She decided to call in some help. She didn’tmind watching Julian for a while.
13. Teresa talked with Ambrose for a long time. She gaveher all sorts of advice about motherhood, and aboutletting go of the past. If you weren’t honest withyourself, the past would haunt you forever.Frank might not love her, but she had a son to live forand love now.