2. Bernice may have been gettingher act together, but at number5 next-door life was continuingas per usual. Alfred Hennrickarose at his usual hour.
3. He went through the morning rituals the same as heever did. Ate breakfast alone at his big dining table.Didn’t fight over the bathroom.
4. But at about 11am he had avisitor. A representative of thecompany for whom he usuallydid work for wanted to pay himmore, if he agreed to work solelyfor them. He agreed there andthen. Why not? More moneywas more money.It wasn’t as if he had anyone todiscuss life changing decisionswith.
5. His new employment brief came through by late afternoon, and he startedwork right away. Why not? His work was his life. As he began a new pieceof code, it crossed his mind he was lonely. Warren was fun when he wasaround, but wasn’t on his wavelength. He wanted a friend.
6. Belladonna was making far more progress than Alfred in getting the lifeshe wanted. She was now driving Jerix the cat about every day. It felt safeinside the car, and she was enjoying exploring Appaloosa for the first timesince moving there. Perhaps it was because it still felt like an enclosedspace? Whatever the reason, she was out of the house.
7. Trinity also gave hersister a bit of amakeover. She cutand restyled herhair, bought her anew dress… shehoped that littlethings like this wouldgive her twin theconfidence to makeeven more progress.Maybe even go for adrink in a bar withher one evening.
8. Her sister’s phobia of the outdoors and ‘bad people’ had been on her mindnon-stop. She was the Balanced Stone. A high earning thief dating the Poet,who ran everything criminal in Appaloosa and beyond. She couldn’t reformherself even if she wanted to, it would mean losing Edward.
9. At number 3, Aimee was ather wits end. She had literallyrun out of places to apply forjobs. The last rejection wasfrom the canteen at the localstables, it was heartbreaking.
10. Malika suggested she look at things from another angle.Instead of cooking people food, why not teach them to cook?She could film herself in their kitchen and put it on theinternet. Aimee was astounded, it could work.
11. Aimee started with a dish that wasn’t forbeginners, but wasn’t too hard. It would getpeople interested. Malika volunteered to becamerawoman and had great fun sticking herface in front of the camera to explain whather mum was doing.
12. Aimee finished it off with Malika eating thedish and telling the camera what shethought of it. Then she posted it onyoutube. If it got some hits, and the nextvideo did too.. Then she would considersetting up her own website and putting adson to generate revenue.
13. But after that afternoon of fun with hermum, Malika returned upstairs to her room to doher homework. She might once have rung Meganto hang out, or Annette… but they had grownapart since Megan had aged up into a teen.