The State Museum of the History of Religion's Jewish Collection
State Museum of History of ReligionSt. Petersburg Since 2000 the Museum is located in Pochtamptskaya Street, 14
Judaic collection of the Museum contains about 2000 items:The Judaic collection (Fond "Judaism")contains 1230 items(metal, wood, parchment, paper);The collection "Precious Metals" –about 450 items;The collection "Fabrics" - about 150 items;The photo library andthe science support collection – about 150 items.The vast majority of these items are Jewish ritual objectsof the 18th – early 20th centuries from Central and Eastern Europe
From Judaic Collection (Department “Judaism")Cartoons by Mendel Gorshman (1902-1972) for antireligious magazine “Bezbozhnik”(Atheist), Leningrad,1925. Ink, paper.(47 items in total)
The core of the collection of the Museum of History of Religionwas formed of exhibits displayed at the Antireligious exhibitionopened at the State Hermitage located in the Winter Palacein April 1930.The Winter Palace. Photo, May 1931.
Since 1932 till 2000, the Museum of History of Religion had been located in the building of the Kazan CathedralThe Kazan Cathedral. Photo, late-1930s.
In 1938,the Museum received a number of exhibitsfrom the Antireligious Museum in St. Isaacs Cathedral.At the exhebition in the Antireligious Museumin St. Isaacs Cathedral, 1936.In the center is the section dedicated to Judaism.
In 1946,the collection of the Museum of History of Religion in Leningradwas enlarged for account of the Moscow Central Antireligious Museum Exhebition at the Central Antireligious Museum in Moscow, late-1930s.
In 1954,the Museum of History of Religion was officially namedthe State Museum of History of Religion and Atheism;In the same year it received a large number of exhibitsfrom the Moscow State Historical Museum. The Kazan Cathedral. Photo, late-1950s.
Posterof the Antireligiousexhibitionat the Museumin Leningradin 1937.The note:“The pioneerpersuadesher Jewish fatherto removereligious garb“
Museum Permanent Exhibition 1932–1941In the section entitled "Religion in Tsarist Russia" the synagogue was featured as the "faithful accomplice Tsarism" The Torah scroll which was presented as a gift to Tsar Nikolay II in Kiev, 1911 Representatives of the Kiev Jewish community presented the Torah scroll as a gift to Tsar Nikolay II. Colored photo-type, 1911
Permanent exhibition of 1950s – 2000s. Photo of 1960s.The label: “Benedict Spinoza. Sculpture by M.M. Antokolsky, 1882. Gypsum. The famous materialist philosopher and atheist, persecuted by religious obscurantism.”
In 2001 - 2010,in the museum permanent exhibitionwas arranged a section dedicated to Judaismof the Biblical era, as a precursor of Christianity.Jewish ritual objects of the 18th – early 20th cent.from Central and Eastern Europe,as well as from Eretz Israel,were displayed in two showcases.
Exhibition hall of the section “Judaism”.Photo of 2012.
Plate, a pilgrim souvenir with a picture of the Western Wall. It was purchased by the Museum in Leningrad in 1950s Decorative PlateMotif Palestine, Jerusalem. Early-20th cent.The Western Wall Porcelain, overglaze painting
MotifThe Tabletsof the Covenant Sefer Torah (Torah Scroll) Eastern Europe. Late 19th cent. Parchment; ink, carved wood, ivory
Torah-shield Prussia, Breslau (Wroclaw).Motif The middle of the 18th cent. (Owners inscription – 1835)Levites Laver Silver; embossing, engraving
Torah-shieldMotifs: (Torah breastplate)Moses and Aaron;Jacob Wrestling with the Angel; Central Europe. 1763. Silver; embossing,Dream of Jacob; casting, engraving
Design projectof the exhibition“An Ordinary Synagogue” View of the center of thea) General view atrium. Photo of 2010.b) Plan Issachar Ber Ryback. Synagogue, 1917. This painting inspired the design of the exhibition.
Temporary Exhibition “The Jewish Family Relics“ Video footage of the exhibition project
Temporary Exhibition“The Jewish Family Relics”,St. Petersburg,June – September, 2011