2. INDEX  Introduction & History  Cyber Criminals  Types of Cyber Crime  Cyber Crime in Pakistan  Protect Computers  Conclusion
3. Cyber Crime  Crime => Illegal activities  Cyber => Characteristic of the culture of computers… Computer crime, or cybercrime, refers to any crime that involves a computer and a network It is a criminal activity committed on the Internet .
4. Cyber Crime  Cyber crime offenses against the information technology infrastructure. Cyber Crime <=> Cyber Space <=> Net Crime  Such conducts includes: • Illegal access • Illegal Transactions • System interference • Data interference • Misuse of devices • Fraud
5. History  The first spam email took place in 1978 when it was sent out over the Arpanet.  The first virus was installed on an Apple computer in 1982  16-year-old student, nicknamed “Data Stream”, arrested by UK police(1994)
6. History Denial of Service (DoS) attacks by „Mafia Boy‟ on eBay, Yahoo! and other popular sites (2000).  FBIs e-mail system is hacked (Feb,2005).  Travelling documents of NATO forces were hacked in Afghanistan.
7. Who is Cyber CriminalThose who are doing crimes by using thecomputer as an target or object. i. Children and adolescents b/w 6-18 ii. Dissatisfied employees iii. Professional hackers iv. Crackers The Invisible Criminals Are Dangerous Than The Visible One…
8. Types of Cyber Crime  Hacking  Email bombing  Data diddling  Cyber Stalking  Cyber Spoofing  Denial of Service attack  Malware attacks  Web jacking …
9. Virus Attack
10. Types of Cyber Crime
11. Cyber Crime in INDIA Cyber Crime Rises Rapidly in India The cyber crimes of multiple kinds in India have increased by five times over the past four years According to CCU a branch of FIA a. 62 cases were reported to the unit in 2007, b. 287 cases in 2008 c. Ratio dropped in 2009 d. In 2010 more than 312 cases were registered in different categories of cyber crimes.
12. Cyber Crime in India India‟s Cyber Crime Bill 2007 Prevention of Electronic Crimes Bill 2007 a) The bill deals with the electronic crimes included, cyber terrorism, criminal access, electronic fraud, electronic forgery, misuse of electronic system or electronic device, misuse of encryption etc. b) Most of the young generation is involved in this crime(CCU) c) It proposes seven years punishment on charges of electronic fraud and electronic forgery and would not have the right of bail. d) Hacking of ATM card numbers & bank accounts are on the rise in india.
13. Are you Protected?
14. Protect your Computers Use anti-virus software and firewalls - keep them up to date Keep your operating system up to date Dont open emails or attachments from unknown sources Use hard-to-guess passwords. Dont share access to your computers with strangers Back-up your computer data on disks or CDs often If you have a Wi-Fi network, password protect it Disconnect from the Internet when not in use Reevaluate your security on a regular basis Never send your credit card number to any site that is not secured. Avoid sending any photograph online particularly to strangers.
15. Conclusion User awareness is key to a secure computer/network  Do not open suspicious files/emails  Verify ActiveX/Java prompts  Avoid using P2P programs  Avoid downloading freeware  If attacked, disconnect the network. Do not turn off the computer So we must pay attention to all those issues and protect the World from Cyber Crime “If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What’s more, you deserve to be hacked. — White House Cybersecurity Advisor”, Richard Clarke