• Define Discrimination.
• What is religious discrimination?
• Facts & Figures
Unjust or unfair treatment given to different categories of
people/group of people on the basis of their caste, sex, religion,
race or language.
• Unequal treatment of an individual or group based on their
• Religious discrimination is a serious issue in Pakistan.
Minorities are routinely discriminated by our Mullas and
What is Religious
There are three simple points that I think are the main cause of
• Some people / group of people think that they are more
superior than the others.
• They have problems accepting anyone who isn’t like them.
• That is how they are raised.
• The sectarian violence emerged after 1980’s
Islamization policies of the Dictator General Zia ul
• He infused education system with rigid Islamic
• Students are encountering problems because of
their minority status and faith.
These are the reports conducted by USCRIF.
• More than 100 textbooks in four provinces of
Pakistan were found to contain discriminatory
and disrespectful materials.
• Religious minorities are often portrayed as
inferior and second class citizens.
• Hindus are repeatedly describe as extremists and
eternal enemies of Islam.
• In 2003, six years old Sikh girl was abducted by
Afridi tribe, and was forced to convert to Islam.
• In 2013 UNRA published a report regarding the
kidnapping of 700 christans girls.
• Every month 10-15 Hindu girls kidnapping cases
were reported to Hindu council in Karachi.
• Rinkle Kumari, a 19 year Pakistani student, Dr.
Lata Kumari, and Asha Kumari, a Hindu working
in a beauty parlor, were allegedly forced to
convert to Islam.
August 2012 Manshera Shia
• Massacre of 25 Shia Muslims travelling from
Rawalpindi to Gilgit.
• Stopped at Manshera by individuals dressed up in
• Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan claimed the
February 2012 Kohistan Shia
• Killing of 18 Shia Muslims travelling from
Rawalpindi to Gilgit.
• Killed by individuals dressed up in military
• Out of 18, three were children and a Sunni
Quetta Shia Bombing
• Two incidents took place in Quetta in the Jan
2013 and Feb. 2013.
• In January 125 people were killed, and in
February 81 were killed and 170 were wounded.
May 2010 Ahmadiyya Lahore
• 94 people were killed and 120 were injured
during Friday prayers.
• Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility.
• Although many politician and prominent figures
made statements condemning the attacks,
neither they attend the burial ceremony nor the
electronic media cover the funeral.
• Education and curriculum policies should be reviewed,
must remove lessons discriminatory towards other
• Students who study ethics instead of Islamic studies,
should be able to study their own religion.
• Equal treatment should be given to people / students
belonging to all religions.
• Religious institutions must be a part of government.
• No one will be allowed to open private madrassas or
• Government should make strict law to protect the rights
Famous Quote by Our Founder
Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali
On August 11, 1947 at Karachi he said in his presidential address that:
The minorities in the State of Pakistan would be have equal rights,
privileges and obligations like the majority. “You are free; you are free
to go to your temples, you are free to go to your mosques or to any
other place of worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any
religion or caste or creed that has nothing to do with the business of
the State.15 He added that in Pakistan, Hindus would cease to be
Hindus and Muslim would cease to be Muslims, not in the religious
sense,…but in the political sense as citizens of the State”.
• USCRIF and UNRA report on Religious
Discrimination in Pakistan.