2. Islam• Followers called Muslims• Emerged in the Arabian Peninsula
3. Muhammad• Born in Mecca in 570 A.D.• Heard the angel Gabriel calling him to be the messenger of God (Allah)• Went on a journey (hijra) to Medina in 622 ▫ Many people accepted his teachings
4. Return to Mecca • Returned to Mecca in 630 • Destroyed idols in the temple (Kaaba) and re-dedicated the temple to the one true God • United many Arabs under one religion
5. Teachings of Islam• Monotheistic- one god• Holy book- Quran ▫ Written in Arabic ▫ Unchangeable word of God ▫ Must learn Arabic• Believe God has sent prophets like Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad (greatest prophet)
6. 5 Pillars of Islam• 1. Declaration of faith• 2. Pray 5 times a day• 3. Give to the poor• 4. Fast during Ramadan• 5. Hajj- journey to Mecca
7. Jihad• Means “struggle in God’s service”• Interpreted different ways ▫ Internal/personal struggle with morality or ▫ Holy war• Sometimes used to justify acts of terrorism
8. “People of the Book”• Jews, Christians, Muslims• Same God• All three recognize that God spoke to Abraham and Moses.• Jews- still waiting for Messiah• Christians- Jesus was Messiah• Muslims- Jesus is just a prophet-greatest prophet is Muhammad
9. Islam: A Way of Life• Read p. 122 in your book and answer the following questions: ▫ What is Sharia Law? ▫ How did Islam affect Muslim women?