Technology to Motivate
Using Google Tools in the
Amy Cook Dean
• Create a Google account specifically for the
– Your username should reflect your professional
– Do not mix professional and personal accounts.
1. Create a Google account specifically for
2. Discuss how Google Tools can motivate
3. Explore and practice the functions of the
following Google Tools: Custom Search, Scholar,
Calendar, Docs, Maps and Forms.
4. Create an assignment implementing one of
those tools or apply one of these tools to an
•Participation in an
•Ease of use,
ways Google can
A Few Favorites
• Google Custom Search
• Google Scholar
• Google Calendar
• Google Docs and Forms
• Google Maps
Google Custom Search
• Students stay within useful Web sites.
• Post tailored searches to your blog or Wiki.
• How can this apply to your content?
• How could this help build a learning community in
• Searches only academic sites and journals.
• Some limitations: some articles inaccessible if you
do not have a JSTOR (etc.) account.
• Content-specific uses:
• Share deadlines with your students.
• Post your calendar to your Blogger page.
• Students can access your public calendar from
their Google account.
Google Docs & Forms
• Share Office-type documents with your students.
• All handouts are available online AND available
from home – no more excuses about losing
• Potential advantages to your current system of
• Add points on a map and share it with your students.
• Provides aerial and street views of almost anywhere in the
• Classroom example: Lewis and Clark
Practice and Application
• Design a class activity or project with one of
the above options.
• See http://www.google.com/educators for