Waste in our world January 12Presentation Transcript
WASTE IN OUR WORLD
WASTE AND RECYCLING IN LETHBRIDGE• Turn to the first page of your booklet and get ready to answer some questions.• Go the this site about the waste and recycling programs in Lethbridge:• http://www.lethbridge.ca/living-here/my- home/Waste- Recycling/Documents/Program%20Guide%20and% 20Recycling%20Brochure/program%20guide,%20up dated%20June,%202011.pdf
WATER TREATMENT CENTER• Watch this video on a water treatment center:• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV-DoisLwm0• After watching the video, have your Wastewater Treatment Process diagram and the next part of your booklet ready.
USE THIS CHART TO FILL IN THE SPECIAL SYMBOLS SHEET
• You will be given a Hazardous Waste Symbols sheet. You will have to take this home and have your parents show you where you can find these symbols around your home.
OVERPACKAGING:WASTEFUL, WASTEFUL, WASTEFUL!
• Get your Chocolate Packaging sheet out. Do you see a problem? Answer the bottom of the page
• Now answer questions 11 and 12 of your booklet
THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS• Do you ever wonder where your favourite things came from? They were not always the way you see it now.• Find the flow chart with a pair of scissors. This shows where all of the materials for the scissors are from. For example, the plastic on the handles were not found like that. Companies pumped the petroleum out of the ground, then used energy to make it into plastic.
• Find out where slinkies come from:• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1oCJcwW1VE &feature=related
• Now think of your favourite thing. In your booklet, make a diagram and chart similar to the one of the pair of scissors. Your chart should show where the materials in your favourite thing came from.• You only have to do two materials