1. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomA Teacher Training GuideAmy J. LukicJune 1, 2011TEC551Grand Canyon University
2. Integrating Multimedia in The Classroom Introduction  This presentation was designed to introduce teacher trainees to the concept of integrating multimedia and technology into curriculum.  In today’s emerging world, we are forced to consider our responsibility as educators, to prepare our students to be successful in a world of tomorrow.  Multimedia opens a window to world of visual literacy and authentic learning experiences, which engage the learner in higher order thinking skills.NOTE: You may click on these ‘i’ links to open internet resources.
3. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomPurposeWhy integrate multimedia into your curriculum? To create To build valuable authentic learning connections around the experiences. world. To allow for the To foster interpersonal as discovery and well as intellectual ownership of relationships with peers. learning. To simulate To create a real world multidisciplinary problem learning solving. environment.
4. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomThe ProcessWhat does it look like in the classroom? Students converting written work into Students use multimedia online or Science students presentations. computer observing ‘beyond based the content ‘ in educational virtual, real time software for environment Peer display additional (remote and independent observation). evaluations practice in of order to create multimedia mastery. projects
5. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomThe Process…more examples of student activities… Students Social Studies students perform communicate with students from research other cultures around the world. online on any given topic to build new Students create knowledge. artifacts that demonstrate their knowledge through WEBQUESTS. Students attend engaging VIRTUAL FIELDTRIPS where content is brought to life.
6. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomFair UseWhat do you need to consider regarding copyright laws & multimedia? Teach your students to be cautious in using digital material downloaded from the Internet. The factors in If yes to these questions, determining then it’s legal under FAIR USE. FAIR USE: • Is it for nonprofit educational purposes?  PURPOSE • Are you using a reasonable  NATURE amount of work from one source?  AMOUNT • Will the material decrease in  EFFECT market value due to your usage? Click here to launch the Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia.
7. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomFair UseConsider this when integrating multimedia…It is legal to use copyrighted material foreducational purposes in the following ways:1. Making multiple copies for teaching.2. Assigned student multimedia projects.3. Use in academic & professional portfolios. Limitations • 10% or 3 minutes of video. • 30 seconds of music/lyrics • No more than 5 images by the same artist. Click here to launch the Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia.
8. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomImplications  Theeffect of authentic learning experiences through multimedia: Technology and MM forces the learner to multimedia become accountable for provide rigor and his/her outcomes. challenge for the learner. Multimedia Innovative learning allows for strategies prepares the Universal learner for our rapidly Access & changing world. otherwise unmotivated.
9. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomImplications Multimedia and Blooms Taxonomy  MM requires Planning & learners to engage Producing in higher order thinking skills. Evaluating Experimenting Analyzing Organizing
10. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomConclusion According the NETS for teachers (2008,ISTE), we are charged with not onlyfacilitating and inspiring creativity, butalso designing digital-age learningexperiences. As educators of 21st centurylearners, it is our duty to prepare ourstudents for the future. The integration ofmultimedia and technology guaranteesour learners a leg up on today’s emergingglobal market. More current ISTE/NETS for Teachers resources on next page.
11. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomResources Internet4classrooms.com Fair Use Guidelines for MM Brainpop.com Blooms Taxonany Discovery: Kathy Shrock WebQuests
12. Integrating Multimedia in The ClassroomReferencesLombardi, Marilyn M. (2007). Authentic Learning for the 21stCentury: An Overview. Educause LearningInitiative, advanced learning through IT innovation.Bartrom, Linda. (2009). Mentoring of Media: Fair UseGuidelines. Techtrends, Vol. 53, No. 5).As cited in Van Oers, B., & Wardekker, K. (1999). Onbecoming an authentic learner: Semiotic activity in theearly grades. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 31(2), 229-249.ISTE, 2008. The ISTE NETS and Performance Indicators forTeachers. International Society for Technology in Education.