2. A system is a group of parts thatwork together as a unit. OPEN SYSTEMS CLOSED SYSTEMSMost systems are Very few systems are open systems. They truly closed. Most take in things from systems receive outside the system. inputs and give off For example, a outputs. terrarium takes in A diver in a energy from the sun. submarine is in anWhy do plants need almost completely the sun’s energy? closed system.
3. Explain if these systemsare open or closed.An aquariuma foresta sports teamyour familyan astronaunt on the Space Shuttlean automobile
4. StabilityStability comes from the word stable. The suffix “ity” forms nouns from adjectives and means “the condition or quality of”.Stability in systems means that over time the changes in a system cancel each other out. For example if something is added, it is later taken out.The system must remain in balance.How does the grass in your yard remain stable?
5. Predict how this tool would helpkeep your yard stable.What are the inputs in a yard system?What are the outputs in a yard system?A system that is in balance is said to have what?
6. Ecosystems  Groups of living things and the environment they live in make up an ecosystem.  Some ecosystems include forests, ponds, and streams.  Explain how some organisms can live in different ecosystems.
7. TYPES OF ECOSYSTEMS POPULATIONS COMMUNITIESA group of the same A community of an species living in the ecosystem is made up same place at the of all the populations same time is a that live in the same population. area.Populations live in The plants and environments to animals that live which they are together depend on adapted. each other to survive.
8. ACTIVITYOrganize charts that compare how your needs are met in your community to how plants’ and animals’ needs are met in their community.
9. ANALYZE THIS!Sometimes plants and animals are introduced into ecosystems that are not native to the ecosystem.Can you name a plant or animal that lives in an ecosystem that you are familiar with and is not native to that ecosystem?Predict what might happen if an animal from the jungle were introduced into a forest ecosystem.
10. NONLIVING PARTS OF AN ECOSYSTEMSUNLIGHTAIRTEMPERATURESOILWATER
11. LIVING THINGS IN ECOSYSTEMS HABITATS NICHESThe environment that A niche is an meets the needs of organism’s role or job an organism is called in the environment. a habitat. Name an organismRead the book “A from the forest House is a House for environment and Me” and discuss the describe its niche in different habitats that environment. listed.
12. LIVING THINGS Food Chain Niches or Roles Producers Consumers Decomposers Green plants and eat other living feed on wastes of some protists things plants and animals orproduce their own food. for energy. on their remains after they die.
13. SUMMARYAn environment that meets the needs of an organism is called a habitat.An organism’s niche is its role within that habitat.As organisms carry out their roles, they can affect both living and nonliving parts of that ecosystem.