Founded on September 4, 1781 by Spanish Governor Felipe
de Neve. It became a part of Mexico in 1821 following the
Mexican War of Independence. After the Mexican–American
War in 1848, California was purchased as part of theTreaty of
Guadalupe Hidalgo, thereby becoming part of the United
History of Los Angeles
Los Angeles - Early 1900s
Los Angeles - 40s-50s Drive
1. What is the importance of the L.A. Aqueduct to
2. What changes occurred to the city that resulted
from the completion of theAqueduct?
3. If the L.A. Aqueduct had not been built, what do
you think L.A. and So. Cal. would be like now?
4. Why is water conservation important?
5. Why do you think the L.A. Aqueduct is important
to you and your family?
Protects the area from
development of any species
that is on the Endangered
Species list set by the federal
Administered by the U.S. Fish &
Wildlife Service and NOAA
(National Oceanic and
1. What is the endangered species act?
2. What do you think about the endangered
3. Why is the smelt and salmon important?
4. What is an indicator species?
5. Describe what is going on with Southern
California’s water and what is going on in
Central CA’s (Fresno area) water.
Low Head Dam: A dam that is slightly raised
over a river.
Allow for the creation of electricity for us.
Allow for the storage of large amounts of
Allow for rivers to become navigable.
1. Dams stop the movement of fish and other
2. Change from river habitat to pond or lake.
3. Dams degrade water quality.
4. Affect downstream users.
5. Dams may be dangerous if they fail.
Go to the Los AngelesTimes and find an
article regarding the California water issue.
Title: title of article and date it was published
Write (2 paragraphs) a summary paragraph
about the problem and a paragraph about
what may happen in the future.
User Name: estrella
Electricity is often created using dams or
burning coal and using the steam from it.
Hydroelectric Power - Hydroelectric Power
Hoover Dam -The Hoover Dam - CBS News
1. List the five concerns regarding dams and
for each one, explain what the negative
2. List and define three new words you learned
in this section.
3. Explain how electricity is created using
Nuclear material such as uranium splits releasing energy that is
used to heat the water and convert it to steam. The steam spins
the turbines that produce the electricity.
Create 10 MC on water issues.
3 answers to choose from, circle the correct letter.
No true/false or yes/no answers
No ridiculous questions or answers.