Production Team Project
Complete this packet to develop your magazine concept.
Complete this packet to demonstrate your skills and interests.
Complete this packet to begin brainstorming for your project.
Fill in each box with the appropriate information.
Include your name and your period on the packet!
A good theme should directly relate to the story of this year at your school, and it should define the main idea and
mood of your magazine. Whether you choose a phrase or slogan, pack as much meaning as possible into as few
words as possible.
Coming Up With a Verbal Theme
1. Make a list of things that are unique to your interests:
2. Circle or Highlight theme ideas that you like:
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF…
50 ways to be a Wildcat
A brave new world
A brighter shade of gray
A defining year
A first time for everything
A face in the crowd
A journey through time
A moment’s hesitation
Back to the beginning
Be something. Be more.
Beyond a Shadow of a doubt
Body • heart • spirit
Break out of the box
Bridging the gap
Breaking the surface
By any other name
By word of mouth
Can you hear us now?
Can you imagine?
Can’t beat it
Capture the spirit
Change the channel
Choose your own...
Closer to the truth
Coming to a school near you
Despite it all
Did you know?
Dare to dream
Don’t take us for granted
Double the memories
Down to the wire
Enigma & Emotion
Echoes of yesterday
End of the road
Going, going, gone
Get the picture
In living color
Into the future
3. Without copying from the “theme ideas list” come up with your own “theme list.” Use question 1 to help you.
4. Make a “summary statement” of the above ideas.
5. Narrow this statement down to a single idea.
6. Solidify your idea into a single catchphrase or slogan.
Coming Up With a Visual Theme
The visual theme needs to be expressed
through layout, color schemes, font
choices, image style and overall design.
7. Decide on a color scheme. Choose three
colors that “go together” or “match.” Go to
in order to help decide:
8. Choose three fonts which go along best
with your verbal & visual theme:
9. Summarize your visual style. Examples of
styles include (but are not limited to):
grunge, classic, retro, vintage, traditional, bo
hemian, emo etc. EXPLAIN in your words
what you mean by YOUR STYLE.
10. Why do the answers above go with your
In each BOX below, PASTE an example of your visual and verbal ideas. You can come up with these on your own
OR COPY images from the internet. Keep in mind your VERBAL and VISUAL THEME!
This is a small group project. Doing a small group
project is a great way to challenge your skills and
force you to think about steps and procedures
(instead of just winging it!). Good luck!
To Complete this Project:
1. complete this brainstorming project with
2. decide who will be the production
designer and who will be the production
3. take at least fifteen photos showcasing
your genre (fashion or music)
4. take additional photos geared towards
your theme (specifically)
5. then create these pages for your
COVER (production designer)
TABLE OF CONTENTS (production designer)
ONE PAGE with a brief article and lots of images
and/or graphics! (production photographer)
A SECOND PAGE with a brief article and lots of
images and/or graphics! (production
An ADVERTISEMENT using a product