Institute for Learning and Research Technology
University of Bristol
• 1 year JISC-funded project, June 2010 - July 2011, under
the Open Innovation strand.
• Collaboration between the University, Bristol City
Council and other interested parties.
• Collaborative platform: wiki, issue tracker, blog,
mailing lists and code repository.
• Provide workshops ... like today!
• Integrate Bristol time and location sensitive data.
• Pilot software at the University of Bristol
• Develop software ...
• Mobile Campus Assistant - originally developed
between July and November 2009 for a rapid
innovation JISC project. Mainly targeting
• Time and location sensitive application
targeted at users. Where is there are free PC?
When is the next bus?
• Highlighted by JISC as an exciting tool in their
Toolshed publication (2010).
• In 2009 University of Bristol nominated the
project for the UCISA Award for Excellence.
• Available under a BSD style license.
The Software (Architecture)
HTML JSON RDF
RESTful Interface Proxy Harvester
Jena Semantic Web Framework Datastore
The (Beta) Service
• Went live during October (Freshers Week).
• No statistics, but obsessively tailing access logs.
• Currently focuses on students - news, events, PC
availability, live bus departures.
• Over the next 8 months: increase
the geo-location data; add
information for staff; integrate
with other University systems (like
• Looking at ways to collaborate with the Molly