• To debate if people can be motivated to work by
• To evaluate the relationship between money &
• To understand the role of motivation and how it
affects our approach to the management of people.
• To understand the differences between intrinsic &
extrinsic motivation, and how they can be used.
• To understand the concept of engagement and
relate it to management practice.
• “We know nothing about motivation. All we can do
is write books about it.” – Drucker
• I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach
children anything, and by using fear as the basic
motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not
staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce
learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear
explosion to a firecracker.” S Kubrick
• “Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else
tries to light that fire under you, chances are it will
burn very briefly.” – S Covey
• Define motivation
• Does general motivation and workplace
• What are the challenges to motivating
• Give examples of motivational
1. Negative Motivation: can motivational factors
influence people to behave negatively?
2. What do you think of the term demotivating?
3. How does an organisation and a manager
approach motivation differently ?
4. What do you think of the term job satisfaction?
5. Why do we need motivated employees?
Full Metal Jacket
Private Pyle has dishonoured himself and dishonoured
the platoon. I have tried to help him. But I have
failed. I have failed because YOU have not helped
me. YOU people, have not given Private Pyle the
proper motivation! So, from now on, whenever
Private Pyle fluffs up, I will not punish him! I will
punish all of YOU! And the way I see it ladies, you
owe me for One jelly doughnut! Now, get down
on your faces!