Gesture drawing can take the
fear out of drawing because
it is not meant to be a
precise and exact
representation of the object.
It is simply a way of
capturing the essence of a
Gesture drawing is basically capturing
the movement of the subject quickly
before the moment is gone.
Draw the subjects as simply as possible,
avoid any details and just lay down
quickly drawn lines to create form.
Draw both heavy and light lines. The
heaviest lines indicate areas of visual
weight or importance.
1. A model will pose in the center of the room.
2. You first drawings will be 1-2 minutes long
3. The time will decrease to 30 seconds with future poses.
4. Draw mass and form. Do not outline. Do not draw
5. You must stand and move your elbow and/or wrist as
6. Do not include details. Lines should be scribbled and
7. Keep the activity fun and positive with an “I can do it!”