Chosen to make adifferenceComparison of Joseph and Samuel’s life
• He is the Son of Jacob and Rachel (Gen. 30:23-24)• He is one of the twelve Tribes of Israel (Exodus. 1:1-5)• He is a dreamer (Gen. 37:19)• He is Israel’s favorite Son (Gen. 37:3) Who is Joseph?
• He is the Son of Elkanah and Hannah (1Sam. 1:1-2)• He is Eli’s Disciple and a minister of God (1Sam. 3:1)• He is God’s Prophet (1Sam. 3:20)Who is Samuel?
JOSEPH SAMUEL• He is the Son of Jacob and • He is the Son of Elkanah Rachel (Gen. 30:23-24) and Hannah• He is one of the twelve (1Sam. 1:1-2) Tribes of Israel • He is Eli’s Disciple and a (Exodus. 1:1-5) minister of God (1Sam. 3:1)• He is a dreamer • He is God’s Prophet (Gen. 37:19) (1Sam. 3:20)• He is Israel’s favorite Son (Gen. 37:3) Do they have something in common?
JOSEPH(‘s) SAMUEL(’s)• Father, Jacob had more • Father Elkanah had more than one wife, Leah, than one wife, Peninnah and Hannah (1Sam. 1:2). Rachel their maidservants • Mother, Hannah was also (Gen. 29-30). barren. (1Sam. 1:5)• Mother, Rachel was • Became God’s Prophet to barren. (Gen 29:31) Israel and saved thousands of lives against the• Became a governor in Philistines. (1Sam 3:20) Egypt (Gen 42:6) and • Became a Judge of Israel saved thousands of lives all the days of his life when famine struck them. (1Samuel 7:15) Things they have in common.
Gen. 11:30 Now Sarai was barren; she had no child.1. Sarah, Abraham’s wife Gen. 25:21 And Isaac prayed to The mother of Isaac the LORD for his wife, because she was barren. And the LORD2. Rebekah, Isaac’s wife granted his prayer, and Rebekah The mother of Jacob and his wife conceived. Esau. Judges 13:2 There was a3. Manoah’s wife certain man of Zorah, of the The mother of Samson tribe of the Danites, whose name was Manoah. And his wife was4. Elizabeth, Zechariah’s wife. barren and had no children.The mother of John the Baptist Luke 1:7 But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren, and both were advanced in years Barren women
All of these men came from barren women. All ofISAAC them are imperfect butJACOB made a difference. Their names are,JOSEPH obviously, written in theSAMUEL annals of History because they stood for the LordSAMSON and served Him. AndJOHN THE BAPTIST Their lives revealed His strength in weakness.From these women, these significantnames existed in the Scriptures;
1Co 1:26-29 For consider your calling, brothers: not manyof you were wise according to worldly standards, not manywere powerful, not many were of noble birth.But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame thewise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame thestrong; God chose what is low and despised in the world,even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.James 2:5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not Godchosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faithand heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to thosewho love him?Why did God choose them?
• John 15:16-17 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.• These things I command you, so that you will love one another.How about us? Why didGod chose us?
• To bear His name and Characteristics (John 15) that we may be the light and salt of the earth (Mat 5:14).God chose us;
John 15:4-8 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branchcannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine,neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; youare the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it isthat bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like abranch and withers; and the branches are gathered, throwninto the fire, and burned.If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, askwhatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this myFather is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove tobe my disciples.Mat 5:13a-14 "You are the salt of the earth…"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot behidden.1. To bear His name and Characteristics thatwe may be the light and salt of the earth
• To bear His name and Characteristics (John 15) that we may be the light and salt of the earth (Mat 5:14).• To stand for what is right (John 15:19; Col 3:12).God chose us;
• John 15:19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.• Col 3:12 Put on then, as Gods chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.2. To stand for what is right
• To bear His name and Characteristics (John 15) that we may be the light and salt of the earth (Mat 5:14).• To stand for what is right (John 15:19; Col 3:12).• To proclaim His excellences (1Pe 2:9).God chose us;
• 1Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.3. To proclaim His excellencies
…We are all chosen to make a difference in this world we are in. We must be ready to answer the world’s questions not just by words but by actions. We do not go with its flow but against it. Like them we are chosen by God to make a difference in our society. Chosen to be leaders of righteousness. Chosen because we are God’s best and not the least. And chosen to bear much fruit that we may be instruments of Change.Like Joseph and Samuel …