Libya is located in the middle of North Africa, bordering the
It has sixneighbors: Egypt, Sudan, Chad, Niger, Algeria, and Tunisia.
The country's location has enabled Libya to witness many civilizations
and became an important caravan trade link between Africa and
1,775,500 sq km with a surface comprises coastal plains, plateaus and
mountains. The Sahara desert extends deep into the south with its
scattered oases and small towns .
A typical Mediterranean climate along the coast in the northern parts
and desert climate in the south. Average temperature is between 15C
during winter and 35C during summer time.
Libya welcomes all investors who wish to invest their money and expertise
in highly profitable and mutually beneficial projects. Libya provides many
exemptions and privileges to all investors, also raw materials, cheap energy,
skilled labor, and do not forget Libya's geographical location which is the
open door to the African continent and its nearness to Europe. That is just
one of so many reasons why entrepreneurs are attracted to invest in Libya.
The Libyan Privatization and Investment Board was established to
promote foreign and local investment and provide all the licenses, permits,
guarantee all incentives and facilitations to investors in simple procedures
through the one-stop shop services office.
What makes Libya an opportunity & challenge?
•The availability of cultural and natural resources.
•The strategic geographical location.
•The availability of a high percentage of a
• Low priced energy.
• Prepare the investment environment, so that the investor,
either local or foreign, can work in a suitable and
comfortable environment after 17 February 2011.
• Prompt investment opportunities.
• Attract foreign capital to invest in Libya either :
1. Initiate new projects.
2. participate in existing ones.
3. Joint Ventures between local and foreign investors.
4. Transfer of ownership of public companies to the private
Our objectives About Libya
Receive national and foreigner capital investment
orders and transfer the ownership of projects
completely or partially.
• Specify evaluation ways and privatization methods.
• Providing the necessary agreements and issuing
licenses to raise investment projects of all fields
except Oil and Gas.
• Coordination with other sectors for preparing the
units to be privatized.
The Package of incentives and exemptions enjoyed
by the foreign and local investor for a period of five
Exemption from all customs duties and taxes.
Exemption for five years from all customs duties
and import taxes .
Exemption from income taxes from the date of
commencement of production and this applies to
profits from the investment.
Exemption of goods from export tax.
Re-exports of capital invested abroad.
Open bank accounts and transfer their net profits and
Leasehold (for a set period of time) of land.
The right to carry losses forward to the subsequent year.
Importation of all the needs and requirements of the
project from abroad.
Export project’s products .
Procurement of manpower and foreign expertise for the
project and allowing workers to transfer their salaries.
Nationalization of the project may not be carried
out, in any way, except by judgment and must be
in return for prompt and fair compensation.
The relevant laws in place to resolve any dispute
that may arise with the investor
1 -Transportation Sector
• Construction of airports.
• Management of airports.
• Handling, Supply and Land services in airports.
• Construction of highways
• Construction of subways and railroads.
• Construction, improvement, and operation of
seaports with a local company.
2- Health Sector:
• Construction of hospitals.
• Laboratories and analysis and diagnosis centers.
• Manufacture of Drugs.
• Manufacture of medical· equipment.
3- Education Sector:
• Establishment of:-
• Universities & high institutes.
• Vocational training centers.
• Schools and international institutes.
Those institutions must have their curricula and examination
procedures approved by the Ministry of Education in Libya.
4- Industry Sector:
• Sanitary materials
• Household appliances
• Manufacture and maintenance of marine fishing
• Manufacture of educational items
• Iron and steel
• Solar and renewable energy
5- Agricultural Sector:
•Cultivation of farm crops.
• Cultivation of fodders.
• Operation of poultry farms.
6- Maritime Wealth Sector:
• Fish canning.
7 - Tourism Sector:
•Hotels, tourist resorts and villages.
• Construction of yacht marinas.
• Construction of leisure utilities.
• Construction of tourist houses and flats.
8- Public Utilities Sector:
• Construction of residential flats and houses.
• Construction and development of household gas network.
• Water desalination plants.
• Waste water purification and sewage plant.
• Recycling factories.
Achievements from 2000
to the first quarter of 2010
• Privatized Units
Food Industries 20
Metal, engineering and electrical industries 22
Animal and marine production 18
Chemical industries 13
Leather industries 7
Spinning and weaving 5
Furniture industry 6
Building materials industry 5
Paper industry 1
Metal and engineering
industries and electrical
Animal production and marine
Spinning and weaving
Building materials industry
1. Entered Operation (177)Project
2. Under Performing and Implementation (142)Project
Africa AsiaNorth & South America
Africa AsiaNorth & South AmericaEurope