1. CIVIL WAR &RECONSTRUCTION TIMELINE By: Mitch Pritchett
2. SOUTH SECEDES FROM THE UNION December 24th, 1860The force of events moved very quickly uponthe election of Lincoln. South Carolina actedﬁrst, calling for a convention to secede fromthe Union. State by state, conventions wereheld, and the Confederacy was formed.
3. FORT SUMTER IS ATTACKED APRIL 12-14, 1861SURRENDER OF FORT SUMTER,SOUTH CAROLINA.THE U.S. SET A CAMP AT FORTSUMTER. THE CONFEDERACYBOMBED THE FORT, THISSTARTED THE CIVIL WAR.
4. The Battle of Antietam September 17, 1862• The first major battle in the American Civil war, and was the bloodiest battle in American History. There were over 23,000 casualties, and it resulted in a Union victory.
5. The Emancipation Proclamation is Passed January 1st, 1863• An order by Lincoln,that proclaimed freedom for the slaves of the 10 states still in rebellion during the Civil War, 3.1 million of 4 million slaves in the U.S.
6. The Battle of Gettysburg July 1st-3rd, 1863• A battle in Gettysburg Pennsylvania, this was the turning point of the war, it was another very bloody war in American History. Resulted in a union victory.
7. The Gettysburg Address November 19th, 1863A speech by PresidentLincoln,The most well knownspeech in American History. Tothe dedication of the soldiers thatdied in the Civil War. The speechtalked about the human equality,and expressed in the Declarationof Independence andconstitution, that those men diedfor.
8. The Wade-Davis Bill Passed by Congress July 2nd, 1864A bill for the reconstructionfor the South, it gaveConfederate states re-admittance to the Union.Although Congress passed it,Lincoln pocket voted it, and itnever took effect.
9. Freedmans Bureau is March 3rd, 1865A U.S. FederalAgency that helpedfreed slaves duringthe Reconstruction,providing food,housing and medicalaid to those in need.
10. The Surrender at Appomattox Courthouse April 9th, 1865The ﬁnal engagement of battlefrom the Confederates underGeneral Robert E Lee, beforesurrendering to the UnionArmy. This was General Leesﬁnal stand, and when heﬁnally realized that he wasterribly outnumbered, hesurrendered.
11. President Lincoln is Assassinated April 14th, 1865Five days after the Confederatessurrendered, President Lincolnwas assassinated by Confederateconspirator and well knownstage actor John Wilkes Booch.The people of the Northern U.S.who were in dismay.
12. The Ku Klux Klan is Created 1865After there recent loss in the CivilWar, a group of Confederateveterans took out their anger byforming the Ku Klux Klan. Theymade acts of violence and murderagainst black Americans andWhite Republicans.
13. The 13th Amendment Passed December 6th, 1865An Amendment to the U.S.Constitution, this outlawed theact of slavery. This was passedand proved that theEmancipation Proclamationwasnt just a temporary warmeasure.
14. The First Reconstruction Act is Passed  March 2nd, 1867Says the rebel states would bedivided up into the militarydistricts. This was the ﬁrstattempt to bring the south backtogether with the Union.
15. The Second Reconstruction Act is Passed March 23rd, 1867This act made adultmales of the southswear their loyalty tothe United States.
16. The 14th Amendment is Passed July 9th, 1868• The 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gave black Americans the right to become U.S. citizens, and the right to due process. This was huge to the Millions of slaves newly freed.
17. President Andrew Jackson is Impeached March 4th, 1869Following Lincolnsassassination, his vicepresident, Andrew Jacksontook ofﬁce.  In thereconstruction Johnson failedto include the rights of thenewly free men, so he wasimpeached by the house ofRepresentatives.
18. Ulysses S Grant Becomes President March 4th, 1869Named President after AndrewJackson was impeached. He wasa celebrated war hero andgeneral in the Civil war, he ledthe Union Army to victory withthe same bold leadership thatmade him a great president.