Harnessing technology to
build and maintain
London Fundraising Summit
24 September, 2008
o Conversations = Conversions
o Management = Messages
o Case studies, reports, resources...
• Networking break
• Small group work session
• Small group reports and closing
• Question & Answer
Conversations = Conversions
Good tools are those that most easily,
efficiently and effectively enable
conversations between you and your
Why is the conversation so important?
Google Website Optimizer
Using the ladder of engagement with
Testing your website and email messages.
2008 e-Nonprofit Benchmarks Study
Next 11 slides from Benchmarks Study presentation,
Year-end Homepage Test Results
• Donation form won - brought in 8% more gifts
(number of gifts)
• Raised 8% more dollars in donations $1,000 and
• Raised 10% more dollars in donations $500 and
• Did not hinder homepage interaction – bounce
rate for the homepage stayed relatively
We Publish Our Stats
• We send meaningful stats to all staff and provide
analysis to encourage them to focus on:
List growth: requires extraordinary efforts (paid marketing,
Current events and personal stories: actions perform better
w/ either element
Syndication: web traffic and RSS feeds are email
Search rankings: dependent on good writing
Fundraising: everyone contributes to our fundraising
• By publishing comprehensive meaningful stats for the
entire organization, we spark curiosity and competition
Action Web Confirmation
• By comparing ourselves to other NGOs, we
get good ideas to test.
• Changing the web confirmation to donation
form raised $46,000+ since December and
tells us which issue inspires donors.
• Top issues: torture, Tibet, Darfur.
Our Tibet action went to 450K+ and raised $15K+
via the web confirmation donation page.
• Loser issue: death penalty
Best performing action in Feb., raised $0.
EXAMPLE ANALYSIS SENT TO STAFF:
- We continue to monitor actions that inspire our activists to donate. Darfur
consistently tops the list of actions garnering the most donations. This month,
the Shi Tao action and war on terror related actions also performed well. The
death penalty, although it brought in the most actions, did not prompt people to
give. We’ve seen similar results in direct mail.
• Make the most of your web traffic by
testing variations of your design.
• Tiny changes can have profound affects.
• Doesn’t require you to use precious email
capital and improves overall usability of
• Improved usability leads to greater
confidence in your organization and less
Big red button
• By changing the standard grey “submit”
on our donation form to a large red
“submit”, we got a 29% lift in our
Utility nav tweak
• changing the order of the utility nav items
and changing “donate” to a bold, green
“donate now” provided a:
70% lift in overall traffic to the donation
o 83% lift in total $ raised
Right pointing arrows
• Adding some right pointing arrows to the
word “Donate” on our homepage donate
button provided a:
5% lift in overall traffic to the donation form
55% lift in total $ raised
Having conversations online.
Organizations using Twitter, Blogs, Social
Networking sites, and more!
I have heard about lots of cool tools and I'm
sold on using social media - let's go!
Using the POST method will help you
keep your goals in front of cool tools.
• CommonCraft.org - Videos explaining
social media tools in plain English
• TechSoup.org - Reviews, forums,
research and more
• Idealware.org - Reviews and comparisons
• NTEN.org - Community network, reports,
research and more
Amy Sample Ward