1) As the students enter the classroom, they will
put their book bags up and have a seat on the
rug at the front of the room.
2) The next thing I would do, is show the class
the cover of the book, as well as pictures in the
book and ask them what they thought was
going to happen.
3) I will then tell my students to listen for the
setting, characters, and key points in the book.
4) I will then read the book as my students listen
quietly. I will call on random students during the
story to be sure they are listening.
5) Once the story is over, we will discuss
the story as a group.
6) Now, I will ask my students to go to
their desks and draw a picture of what
happened in the story and write a
sentence to go along with it.
One way of assessing my students is to
have them write down the
setting, characters, and main events
from the story and take a grade on it.
Another way is to set up the smart board
so that the setting and characters are
pulled up. The students can match the
correct characters with the correct
A computer can be used for students to
read a story on and then tell the
setting, characters, and main events.
An Ipad can be used for the same thing
that a computer can be used for.
A smart board will be used for students
to match the correct characters to the
Setting – the story’s time and place.
Character – a person or thing in a story.