2. NETFLIX OVERVIEW• Netﬂix is a Web 2.0 tool that is utilized to rent and stream video content. This content can be delivered wirelessly through the use of the internet or can be delivered as physical product in your mailbox.• Netﬂix is a membership, subscription based site that requires an email address and home information in order to create an account. Your account is then linked to your proﬁle in which a specially designed system patented by Netﬂix reviews your movie choices and builds a library of content that you may enjoy.• www.Netﬂix.com
3. HISTORY AND CREATOR• Netﬂixwas founded in 1997 by Marc Randolph and Reed Hastings, with it’s headquarters in Los Gatos, California.• The company was founded on the premise of no late fees and unlimited movie rentals based on a monthly subscription rate. Content was originally delivered only through the mail.• Netﬂix now offers DVD rental, internet streaming, and has recently added the addition of Blu-Ray rental.
4. PURPOSE• Netﬂix is a video rental service. It was designed to be an alternative to brick and mortar video rental stores who have recently been going bankrupt due to Netﬂix’s popularity with the mainstream.• Youare able to rent DVD’s, Blu-Ray’s, and stream video content through the website.
5. CONTENT MAKEUP• Netﬂix is made up of ﬁlms and television shows that are able to be rented to the subscribed member.• The main page contains different sections including new releases, ﬁlms that you may enjoy based on their suggestion system, and a main bar at the top of the page making it easy to browse or narrow for a speciﬁc search.• Content like reviews are added by the publishers of the site and the members of the Netﬂix community. There are two sections of reviews: Critic Reviews and Member Reviews.
6. USES• Netﬂix was primarily designed for the home consumer in mind.• However, it can be used for schools who want to have access to the library or educational content that Netﬂix has available, including documentaries and historical ﬁlms.
7. QUALIFICATION AS WEB 2.0• Netﬂixallows users to share content like reviews and their own personal proﬁles with others.• It uses everyone’s data to help improve the website through movie recommendations and suggestions.
8. SIMILAR SITES• Theonly liable alternative website for movie rental other than Netﬂix is Blockbuster’s online service.• Redbox is also another service that can be used other than Netﬂix, Redbox is a rental vendor seen in most grocery stores in which you can rent movies for $1 per night and return whenever you would like. The movie selection is much more limited however.
9. POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES• Netﬂixis a very secure website, and over the years that I have experienced with it I have had no security problems.• There is the occasional error on select titles when trying to stream, which can be a minor or major inconvenience. But this happens very rarely and the content is usually up and running quickly.• Mailorders usually arrive very speedily, and reach your mailbox about two days after placing them in your queue.