1. Page 1
Language Learning with Bing and Office365
Globalization has increased the need for students to be
culturally aware and able to communicate with peers
who may speak another language to their own. Within
their own classroom or through on-line projects the
acquisition of a new language or the use of technology
to support communication is vitally important.
In this tutorial you will:
1) Learn to use Bing Translator as a communication tool.
2) Learn to use Flashcards to help students acquire a new
3) Learn to use translation tools which are integrated in Microsoft
4) Learn to use the Microsoft Lync Conversation Translator to
facilitate communication between two or more persons who
don’t speak a common language.
Microsoft Word; Bing Translator;
Flashcards; Microsoft Lync
ICT Skill Level Required:
Sameer is a Languages teacher in a school with a mixed cultural intake. He wants his students to be able to
communicate with each other quickly and knows that technology can help. At the same time Sameer is aware that
mastery of language is as important as quick communication so he wishes to use technology to support that too.
In this project you will discover useful tools and activities that can be used for communication with members of the
school community who don’t speak the native language.
2. Page 2
1. Bing Translator is a tool that provides instant machine translation. For both teachers and students it a way to
bridge languages within seconds.
How to use Bing Translator web link.
2. Bing Translator should be considered a back-up tool as the translation will be quick but not necessarily 100%
correct. It is also accessible from within Microsoft Office programs like Word or OneNote. A text (or a part) can
be translated by highlighting it, right click and select translate.
3. Learning a language should be fun. One of the tools students could use is Flashcards. As students create,
practice and play, they teach themselves new words. Students can post their Flashcards to SkyDrive to share
them with their classmates. You can create Flashcard Decks for language learning containing words, images
How To Use Flash Cards web link
How to Use Flash Cards video web link
3. Page 3
4. Microsoft Lync offers the Conversation Translator. Instant Messaging conversations can be translated on the
spot in the language of the other participants in the conversation.
How To Use Conversation Translator web link
4. Page 4
Further Resources and Ideas
Visit TakingITGlobal for projects to connect your students with learners from different countries
Connect with teachers from other countries to collaborate on educational projects
UNESCO CfT – Technology Literacy (ICT, Basic Tools)
ISTE – Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity (1b,c,d), Design and Develop Digital Age Learning
Experiences and Assessments (2a,c), Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility (4b,c,d)