Michelle Brown-Brine A2 Media Studies G324 – Advanced Portfolio in Media Brief 2 – A promotional package for a new film
Questions2. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?3. What have you learnt from your audience feedback?4. How did you use media technologies in the construction, research, planning and evaluation stages?5. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
1. Use of Conventions• Colour – black, white, red• Font – uniform throughout individual pieces, fits genre• Audio – slow in tempo, dark, eerie• Editing – fade, quick cut, zoom• Shot type/angle/movement – mid-long, handheld, close-up, extreme close-up
2. Audience Response In order to gain feedback from my target audience I asked 20 people within my target audience age range (10 males 10 females) the following questions and received the following responses:1. Can you tell that the genre of the product is fantasy/horror? 9 8 7 6 5 Male 4 Female 3 2 1 0Comments: Yes NoFemale, 17 “I felt that the horror genre was made very clear by the colours that were used,however, although the fantasy aspects could also be seen, they were a little too subtle.”Male, 21 “I thought that it was easy to see the genre because of the ‘give away shots’ in thetrailer.”
2. Audience Response 2. In your opinion, does the trailer look professional? 9 8 7 6 5 Male 4 Female 3 2 1 0 Yes NoComments:Female, 19 “I would never had thought that it was made by an amateur for an A-Level courseworkproject as it looked so professional, in fact I was sad to hear that there was no real film!”Male, 15 “I use iMovie a lot as I am a media student and I could see through the editing that themanufacturer of said product was relatively new at using this technology, however the final resultwas still good.”
2. Audience Response 3. How would you rate the quality of the finished products? 6 5 4 3 Male Female 2 1 0 Poor GoodComments: Satisfactory ExcellentFemale, 23 “I thought that the overall quality of all of the products I was shown was good. This isbecause on close examination I could only spot a few minor quality issues but overall, wellproduced.”Male, 16 “I thought that the products were lacking a flare and that the quality of the camera usedwas not to a high enough standard for me. On the other hand I still enjoyed observing theproducts.”
2. Audience Response 4. Did you like the title and tagline of the film? 8 7 6 5 4 Male 3 Female 2 1 0 Yes NoComments:Female, 15 “For me it was the tagline that grabbed my attention. I loved the way that it wasworded and I thought it was cleverly done.”Male, 26 “In my opinion the title was gripping and it made me want to find out who exactly these‘nightstalkers’ are and what it is that they do!”
2. Audience Response 5. Finally, if you saw the trailer at the cinema, would it make you want to watch the film? 10 9 8 7 6 5 Male 4 Female 3 2 1 0 Yes NoComments:Female, 16 “The only reason that I would not want to see the film is because it looks a bit tooscary for me!”Male, 22 “I would definitely want to watch it as it looks like the kind of films that I tend to watch,and in all honesty I am disappointed that this is not possible!”
2. Audience Response: What I LearntFrom my audience feedback I learnt the following things:Although males tend to be more critical, they preferred my product than thefemales didMy product looks professional90% of my selected target audience group would watch the film in the cinemaafter having seen the trailerFemales tend to give more positive and constructive feedbackThe quality of all 3 of my products was of a relatively high standardIf I was to do this project again I would:•Use a higher quality camera in order to gain better quality images and footage•Take more shots so that I have a wider variety to choose from•Watch some tutorials of iMovie on specified areas of which I feel I need todevelop•Plan my time better; for example allow more time for the gathering of footageand for the evaluation•Experiment more with different shot types and editing
3. Use of TechnologiesiMovieBefore I started this project I had had no previous experience of iMovie, however I came to termswith it quickly and realised that is not very different to the program Garageband which I have usedbefore. I learnt that it is very easy to make good quality videos on this program and that the onlything you have to ensure is that your video clips are of a good quality. Specific skills I learntregarding this program were:-Importing clips-Importing audio-Cutting clips-Adding effects-Transitions between clips-Changing the colour of a clip-Exporting as an MP4 file-Adding text to a videoI used this program for the entire production of my teaser trailer.
3. Use of TechnologiesGaragebandI had had previous knowledge and experience in the use of this program as I used itfrequently during my GCSE music course 2 years ago. However, it took me a while toremember how to use it! Although this was not of huge importance as I only needed thisprogram a few times to make my audio track for my teaser trailer.Through the use of this program I learnt that every second is vital regarding the positioningof the audio clips and that, again, having good quality sound bites is important.
3. Use of TechnologiesAdobe Photoshop CS3As I used this program for my entire AS coursework, I had great knowledge of this program,however I did learn about some new tools like the clone tool and the path tool which I usedfrequently throughout the production of my poster and magazine front cover.The path tool is the best tool for cutting out a specific part of a picture, although it is timeconsuming. The clone tool is used for copying a specific part of a picture and is used inconjunction with the brush tool.I used this product to make my magazine front cover and my poster.
3. Use of TechnologiesBloggerI found the use of this program easy as I was also using it for another of my A-Level subjects.However, I did learn that you can upload things onto individual pages and this creates anavigation bar. I also learnt that you can upload PowerPoint presentations onto your blogthrough the website ‘slideshare’.I used this website to display all of my work throughout research, planning, construction andevaluation.
3. Use of TechnologiesSlideshareAs with iMovie, I had never used this program before. However, this website was easy touse. I learnt how to upload my PowerPoint presentations and how to embed the link onBlogger. I also learnt that there is a limit on the size of the presentations that can beuploaded which is why there are multiple short presentations on my blog.I have used this website in conjunction with Blogger so that I can display my presentations asslideshows. Like Blogger, I have used this throughout the research, planning, constructionand evaluation of my product.
3. Use of TechnologiesMicrosoft PowerPoint 2003I have very good knowledge of the use and function of this program. However, this year Ilearnt that it is better for a PowerPoint presentation to contain more pictures than text, andthat it is possibly better to bullet point important facts and pieces of information as it looksmore professional.I have used this program to display my work in a uniform and easy to comprehend way. LikeBlogger and Slideshare, I have used this program throughout the research, planning,construction and evaluation of my product.
4. Effectiveness of Combination ofMain Product and Ancillary Texts Key Wolf synergy Text synergy Actor synergy As a combination, I feel that the products work well, and that you can see that they are an advertising package. Although there is not much visible synergy, there is also the audio synergy of the wolf howl which, I think, ties all 3 individual products together.