Current Legislative Issues and Topics regarding AMR
AML Legislative Update
Issues that affect Abandoned Mine Reclamation in
• S.222 and H.R. 488. Allowing for non-coal use of states’ smcra grant
• S. 468 introduced by Sen. Rockefeller (D-WV) and H.R. 980
introduced by Rep. Rahall (D-WV)—revival of CARE Act regarding
use of accrued interest and excess treasury funds under Title IV to
pay for UMW retirees.to expand coverage for miners who were
impacted by recent bankruptcies, such as with Patriot Mining.
SMCRA Legislation cont.
• OSM’s FY2014 proposed budget: Two main actions, one to
eliminate payments to certified states and tribes, next regards
setting up a hardrock AML fee and program.
• MAP-21 raid last summer. Possible fix for MAP-21? This may
affect actions on H.R.488 mentioned above.
• PA’s annual AML grant down by ~10%.
Uncertain as to whether that will be restored.
Appears that sequestration will be part of
Other items working
• Potential Good Samaritan Bill to help coalfield AML work.
Nothing tangible yet.
• HR2218 sponsored by McKinley (R-WV)--encourage recovery
and beneficial use of coal combustion residuals and establish
requirements for the proper management and disposal of coal
combustion residuals that are protective of human health and
the environment. As of 6/3/13, Status: Referred to the House
Committee on Energy and Commerce.
• Mine Placement of CCRs – rule has begun the surname
process at Interior. Then will proceed to OMB. OSM hopes to
propose a rule by year’s end.
• SB411. Use of AMD water for hydrofracing.
Was laid on the table, March 13, 2013. Since
then, various groups have given input on
language changes. Bill should be reappearing