2. • Food allergy: response by the immune system to a food protein – When the food is eaten, the immune system thinks the food is harmful and releases histamine and other chemicals to attack the enemy • Only way to avoid a reaction is avoidance • Just one bite can hurt!
3. 8 most common foods that cause allergies• Milk• Peanuts• Eggs• Tree nuts (pine tree, walnuts, pecans, etc)• Fish• Soy• Shellfish• Wheat
4. Here at Annenberg…• Additional allergens are:
5. symptoms that occur after eatingRespiratory• Trouble swallowing• Shortness of breath• Repetitive coughing• SwellingSkin• Hives• Eczema• Itchy red rashGI tract• Nausea &vomitting• Diarrhea• Abdominal crampingSevere Symptoms• Drop in blood pressure• Loss of consciousness
6. Anaphylaxis• A serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death• Individuals with food allergy plus asthma are at greatest risk for a serious reaction
7. Avoid food allergens• Label reading• Ask questions• Careful food preparation and cleanup• Be prepared in case of a reaction
8. Careful food preparation• Wash hands, cooking utensils, and food preparation surfaces to avoid reactions from trace amounts of protein left behind and contaminate• Dishwashing detergent and hot water for cooking utensils and cutting boards• Properly label food containers• Know where to find the food label
9. Food allergy reactions in schools• Once a reaction begins there is no way to know how severe the reaction will become• Take all food allergy-induced allergic reactions seriously• Every school should have a plan for managing food allergies
10. Food Allergy Plan• The plan to manage a student’s food allergies should take into account – Unique needs of the student –? – Involve the staff, parents, student and manager – Employ prevention and avoidance strategies
11. So how can you help? The items listed on pre- meal sheets along with the general allergy food or additive concerns should be the only ones listed. If the item is not on this list it is not of immediate concern, yet all managers and staff should be awake of where to find any ingredients if someone should need to know.