This illustrates the introduction, process and outcome of the Empty Bowls Student Service Learning Project at CCJHS from 2006-2009. Banquets were held in 2007, 2008 & 2009.
Empty Bowls is a nationally known charity fundraising event for raising awareness about hunger as well as raising money to fight hunger. (Additional program information is available at www.emptybowls.net.)
A suggested donation of $6 for students and $8 for adults will get you dinner (usually a simple meal of soup, salad, bread, dessert and drink) entertainment by the Jazz Band and Show Choir, a silent auction and raffles of community donated items.
& a handmade bowl to take with you at the end of the night.
CCJHS art students have been hard at work making handmade ceramic bowls for everyone who comes to the event to take home at the end of the night as a reminder of all the “Empty Bowls” in our community and around the world. This “Empty Bowl” serves as a reminder to participants that every time they get out a bowl and have something to put in it, there are many people and pets who have nothing for in theirs.
In 2009 students expanded the theme to “Helping People and their Pets” due to the sharp increase in pet abuse, neglect and abandonment from the rise in economic hardship including rising gas & grocery prices, loss of jobs, foreclosures and natural disasters.
80% of money raised went to the local food pantry & the other 20% was split between the Humane Society and Heart No Kill Shelter.