1. THE CULTYRAL HERITAGE IN ŚWIERKLANY We have been working on the cultural heritage at Karol MiarkaGymnasium in Świerklany since the beginning of its existence. Since 1999students have been learning about historical, patriotic, religious or artisticvalues connected with our region during Regional Education Classes. Moreover,at those classes they have been knowing history of monuments, interestingplaces or people connected with Świerklany. Students were taking photos ofthe most interesting places in our village. Wayside Shrine And Figurine of Saint John Nepomucen At Świerklany grow trees which are the monuments of nature. One of them is beech (Fagus sylvatica). It is called The Sobieski’s Beech by the inhabitants of Świerklany. The legend says that the king John III Sobieski found shelter at the shadow of that beech when he was coming back from Vienna.
2. The first fire engine Ludwik Holesz’s Gallery What is more, students from our school at 2005 solemnly signed the Actof the Adoption of Monuments within the confines of the Program „Traces of
3. the Past. Students Adopt Monuments.” Our students adopted parish cemetery. The adoption was an element ofthe Project “School of a Dream”. They were taking care of cemetery and itssurroundings.
4. At the school year 2006/2007 our Gymnasium joined in the projectInterEOL – Intercultural Education OnLine. The main goal of the project was toprepare teachers and students to the dialog and co-operation to create Europeof different cultures. The program was also connected with the culturalheritage of our region and country. To find out which of the cultural heritage is the most important forinhabitants of Świerklany there was the poll in our Gymnasium.According to the poll students know what is the cultural heritage. 87% studentsknow and admire local monuments. They think the most highly of Sobieski’sBeech, than Ludwik Holesz’s Gallery and parish cemetery in Świerklany becausemost of inhabitants are Christians. At their life the most important values areGod, faith and love.Students at the poll unambiguously stated that aside from home – school is theplace where they learn about the cultural heritage during regional education,history or polish classes. Probably that is the reason why graves and
5. monuments of murdered during the second World War are very importantvalues of the cultural heritage.Inhabitants of Świerklany bewitch beauty of the local nature that is whyconsiderable group of students appreciate the Sobieski’s Beech.
6. monuments of murdered during the second World War are very importantvalues of the cultural heritage.Inhabitants of Świerklany bewitch beauty of the local nature that is whyconsiderable group of students appreciate the Sobieski’s Beech.