In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?• For our project we all researched the codes and conventions of girl bands. I researched pop/rock genre bands that used different styles of editing and shots such as split screening and establishing shots of the group. I also noticed a narrative for most videos with a relationship on visuals and the lyrics from the song.• In our music video we decided to add an intertextual reference with the Guns and Roses top. As our band was partly influenced but the edgy rock look.• For performance wise girl band music video rarely have live performances as part of their video but have the band members sing the lyrics in the video normally in a part of the video. We used this in our video to break up the narrative and keep the relationship of the song and visuals together.
I was able to create a relationship with the music andvisuals by editing quick shots to match the music withthe main beat in the song.We kept the relationship of lyrics and visuals as well.For example the images to the left are screen shots ofwhen we have a relationship between the too. Themiddle is when the song says “Rough neck all around”and the top and bottom are when they are singingwithin the narrative plot.The split screen which I edited myself shows all fourband members and are staggered to the appear of thescreen on by one. In recent videos split screening hasbecome more of a popular effect used within videoslike in Lady Gaga’s music video Telephone.I decided to link both the idea of an establishing shot ofthe group with split screening and have them togetherand repeat it on high points of the video. I thought thiswould be a good way to make the audience rememberthe band with a twist on the establishing shot makingthe video more interesting to watch.
• The right picture is the establishing shot of the group. The photo on the left is used on a certain part of music to again keep the attention of the audience. Here are shots we used in the video of the band together singing and a long shot of the band walking forward which is repeatedly used in the video.
2. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts? Having thought about the music video I thought the presentation of my Digipak and poster must reflect the band as a whole. I decided to use the theme colours from the video red, white and black in both products I made. The video contains hidden references to our band such as the rose at the beginning falling to the ground and having a red rose air fresheners hanging from the mirror in the car with be a perfect reference to carry on within my products. Besides the fact the roses is part of the bands name.
• My Poster and Digipak are themed in the colours of red white and red like the music video. I also made the roses a main feature in both products. I kept the codes and conventions of a girl band by having them all on the front cover together on the Digipak and having different images linking them all together. I also included the record label for our product SONY BMG and the copyright part plus the logos and website addresses which are all elements needed on the Digipak to give the audience details on the band.• My Digipak is a six sided piece with the top part flipped so if it were folded it would make an actual Digipak. I made more song names that to me fitted in with the whole image and style of the band, dark and edgy but still having that sexy girl band look. I used roses as a border on three of my panels to link in with the names and kept to the theme colours we had chosen for the band. I wanted to also have a panel where each band member was in black and white with a red splatter as the background. This makes a contrast to the front cover as that is light and fresh looking with this bottom left panel is more dark and mysterious.
• In the poster I thought it would be a good idea to have a picture of the album cover on the poster so audiences would establish it the same album. I also decided to have the song to our music video ‘Scandalous’ as the Albums name. Simply because it would be the products first release song off the album and to prompt audiences to buy the rest of the album.• It keeping in touch with the Digipak and poster I carried on the roses idea and having it as a main feature for my poster. I used the images I edited as well because they were black and white, again staying the theme. The date I have choosen is also valentines days so having red as a dominant colour on the poster would attract audiences in because of Valentines Day.• I also made sure the record label, stores and websites were added at the bottom as they are key element to have on a album release poster.
What have you learnt from audiences feedback? We asked for feedback using several social sites and using Youtube. We were given positive feedback and advice of how to improve the video further which we took on board when going back over the video.Our first round of feedback in class helped us to get another point of view of what they like and dislike about the video as our target audience is on ourage range so knowing what they didn’t like about the video really helped us to change the video in order to keep thetarget audience. They liked the fastediting and wanted to see more of it in the video and the “Mise-en-scene”too.
How did you use new media technology in theconstruction, research and planning and evaluation stages?When researching and planning I used Blogger to document all the research I foundand made posts of any planning for the video we did. I used several extra programs such as power points and Prezi to making my blog more interesting and appealing to views to look at. You Tube has been a key part to our research and to find examples of how we would like our video to be styled like or use certain effects from a music video have been screen shot and put on my blog for examples. When constructing our video product we used a flip camera to record and Final Cut Pro on the Macs to edit. Using this program we were able to create many more effects like the green screen and split screen. We also wanted to develop our video further by adding lyrics on the screen into our video but it would have been all to much with the quick cut editing possibly making the video look messy instead we decided to stay with what we had.For my Digipak and Poster I used Photoshop elements.
• When we added editing the video on the green screen part we researched other music video which had a crime board part. • Using new media technology we were able to create this effect using Final Cut Pro.When evaluating all the workthe we did to get the bestresponse back of the video wasby using Facebook. Howeverwe uploaded the video ontoYoutube by converting it into aQuick time movie. Then alsotwitting the video to one ofband members of the ‘Mis-Teeq” who sung the songoriginally.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.