1. Day of the Dead Quest SheetsNombres _______________________ _______ Clase___________ Periodo _______Day of the Dead Quest SheetOctavio Paz writes the Mexican has no problems with death that he "... chases after it, mocks it, courtsit, hugs it, sleeps with it, it is his favorite plaything and his most lasting love." In your opinion, how isthis idea similar to or different from our "United States" view on death?This is different from our view in the United States because most people in the United States feardeath and really don’t like to talk or think about it.When is All Saints Day and All Souls Day celebrated?All Saints day is celebrated on November first and All Souls day is celebrated on November second. Even though each region in Mexico celebrates Day of the Dead differently, what are things that theydo have in common.They all have family reunions, prepare special food, wear costumes, place offerings for the dead ataltars, and have fireworks.November 1 is reserved to remember _____________________.Dead infants and childrenNovember 2 is reserved to remember _______________________.Dead adultsFrom mid-October to the first week in November, what are some of the items markets and shops stockup on?Some of the items they stock up on are water, salt, bread, candles, flowers, copal, soap, sweets, fruit,washbasins, towels, mirrors, and combs.List 5 edible goodies enjoyed on Day of the Dead.Skulls and coffins made form sugar, chocolate, amaranth seeds, pan de muerto, animas. What are some things that are used to create an altar?Flowers, three Calaveras, tissue paper (papel picado), crafted skeletons, empty boxes, tablecloths,tables, candles, copal.
2. What occurs on November 2?All Souls Day. Family members construct altars to commemorate dead loved ones.How do Aztecs view death?They view it as an extension of life and a natural progression, sad but inevitable.In Mixquic, what takes place to celebrate Day of the Dead?In the cemetery, altars are left at the graves of loved ones, filled with food and beverages and otherthings that the deceased person enjoyed. A casket carrying a cardboard skeleton is carried throughthe town while women dressed in black pretend to cry and a prayer is said. At 4 PM, the bells of theAugustian convent are rung on the second day, and people go back to the graves, clean them, and layflowers on them and burn copal, and candles are left.
3. Food Quest SheetNombre ________________________ Clase _________ Periodo ____ Who is la Catrina?It is an image of a skeleton woman originally popularized by José Guadalupe Posada. It is a majorimage in day of the dead ceremonies and is commonly known among most people.What are some foods that are made during Day of the Dead?Sugar skulls and coffins, sweet rolls, pan de muerto. What are the different types of Pan de Muertos or Bread of the Dead?Some are covered with other dough pieces shaped like bones and skulls. Some dark breads aresculpted into bodies called animas.What do children love to eat?Sugar skullsWhat is the purpose of having a glass of water at the altar?Water purifies and cleanses and quenches the thirst of the dead after their long journey.In your own words, describe the cemeteries in Mexico? What do you like or dislike about thecemetery decorations?The cemeteries are very colorful with much exciting colors and decorations. Much moreaccepted and celebrated then in the U.S. I like the decorations because it gives a happierinviting feel to the idea of death. It seems exciting and happy to celebrate death than a die ofmourning.Look at the two recipes along the right side of the page. Would you eat either one of theserecipes? What do you like and do not like about each?Mole verde- I would probably not eat this mixture of olives, onions, and jalepenos. It seems thejalepenos would make it a bit too spicy and the other flavors dont seem very good.Caramal Flan- This custard sweet covered in caramal which is mostly sugar. Seems like itwould be a delicious snack and very good.
4. Nombre_____________________ Clase __________ Periodo ________ Wordplay Quest SheetUnscramble the vocabulary word, then using the glossary, write the definition. 1. avlasecr ___Calavers 2. oelm ___Mole 3. lpoalic ___Copalli 4. otlae ___Atole 5. gatnielso___Angelitos 6. tacera ___Careta 7. acavler __Calaver 8. fodraen ___Ofrenda 9. qfelnaieu __Alfenique 10. apnedoslermtuso __Pan de los muertos 11. zpamchtcleui ___ CempazuchitDefinitions 1. songs and poems about the festival 2. a thick sauce made from a variety of ingredients, including chilis, sesame seeds, herbs, spices, chocolate and fruit 3. a scented resin used to make incense 4. an ancient drink made from corn meal and water and flavored with various fruits 5. the souls of the children who have died; literally "little angels" 6. mask worn by dancers to scare the dead away at the end of the celebrations 7. a skull; also a slang term for "daredevil" 8. an offering; refers to the goods set out on the altars 9. a special confection used to fashion skulls, fruits and other figures 10. bread of the dead 11. a yellow marigold, the symbol of death, also known as cempasuchil or zempasuchitl
5. Day of the Dead vs. Halloween Day of the Dead Halloween *Celebrated on the night of*Celebrated November 1st and October 31.2nd *Wear costumes*The celebration was *Origin is the Celticinfluenced by Mayan and Aztec Samhain festival in *Children trick or treat andtraditions after being brought Ireland receive candy from adultsto Central America by theEuropeans *Revolve around the *Originally called “All belief that spirits of Halloweds’ Eve”*People visit graves of dead the dead return toloved ones earth during the *Modern aspects of the holiday celebration are mostly commercial and*Altars are created for the dead meant for fun rather thanwith things that the person respect for the deadliked *Mostly people dress in scary*Originally called “All- costumeshallowsmas”